WHAT’S IN AN ALE NAME?

IMG_0367

Everyone loves a story! Everything holds a story within itself and that is true of names too…of all names, even ones of beers!

I was reminded of this the other day as my husband wistfully started reading out the label on the back of his beer…at times I tune out his mutterings but this time my interest was piqued and I just had to learn more.

Bottles of beer were duly bought and following research and photo gathering, I’m ready to unveil the story behind six beer names – who knew it would take me on a virtual pilgrimage to Canterbury, to 17th-century navy battles and to 12th-century court cases of brawling and swearing. Not forgetting the ride in an old motor car!

20170510_092529

Old Speckled Hen has a wonderfully rustic name, reminiscent of the countryside glowing in the dappled sunlight similar in colour to the amber golden ale. As my mind is peacefully drifting among the meadows, hens pecking on the grass I’m brought back to the modern world with a shock whilst researching this beer.

The name owes nothing to the bird, speckled or not, rather it refers to a car!! The vehicle was a paint-splattered Featherweight Fabric Saloon which was the factory run-around car used by MG and fondly referred to as ‘Owld Speckl’d Un’ owing to its mottled appearance after years parked under the paint shop.

IMG_0357

The beer itself was brewed by Moreland on special request of MG in 1979 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of their car factory in Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

Old seems a popular word when it comes to beers and appears yet again in the name of Old Peculier!

20170510_120708
This Theakston’s famous ale takes its name from the seal of the Peculier Court of Masham in North Yorkshire. In the 12th century it was the custom of the church to administer the law but this proved too an arduous task for the Archbishop, who was based in York.

Therefore he set up a Peculier Court which was independent of the diocese and headed by the Peculier of Masham.

peculier

The court’s jurisdiction was varied and included dealing with offences such as not coming to church enough, not bringing children in for baptism, drunkenness, swearing and brawling.

Broadside, a dark red beer brewed in Southwold, Suffolk, has a fascinating historical connection and commemorates a famous but little-known Battle of Solebay in 1672.

20170510_092742

Solebay, nowadays known as Sole Bay,  lies near the brewery in Suffolk and was the site of a naval battle in the Third Anglo-Dutch War.

IMG_0324Broadside is the battery of cannon on one side of a warship and there were ships in abundance in the early morning of 7th June 1672 as a fleet of 75 ships from the United Provinces, present-day Holland, surprised the joint Anglo-French fleet of 93 ships anchored in the bay.  Across the two fleets, there were over 55,000 men and nearly 11,000 canons.

battletwo

The battle ended inconclusively at sunset after a whole day’s fighting with both sides claiming victory despite the heavy losses.

In all the Dutch lost two ships and 1800 men whilst the English lost two ships and over 2000 men.  The local people of Southwold cared for the 800+ injured and dealt with the bodies that washed up on its shores for weeks afterward. According to the historians, the Dutch had more justification to claim victory as the English-French plan to blockade the Dutch was abandoned.

Not all beer names have such interesting history as Broadside and are rather more lightly amusing!  One such is Badger’s ale of Fursty Ferret.

20170510_093805

This famous ale is brewed by Hall & Woodhouse which was founded in 1777. The name is thought to come from the inquisitive ferrets which used to sneak a taste of the local brew. I was baffled by the actual meaning of ‘fursty’ and one of the google responses was interesting: ‘The meaning of the given name Fursty represents innovation, independence, determination, courage, sincerity and activity.’ Just like a ferret, then! Or it might just be a  Fursty is local dialect for thirsty, being Dorset!

ferrett

Bishops Finger is a classic strong ale from Kent and its name has strong connections to the Pilgrims’ Way. Along the walk from Winchester towards Canterbury and the shrine of Thomas Beckett signposts called Bishop’s Fingers showed the pilgrims the way.

20170510_105426

The Pilgrims’ Way is a historical route which originally used in 500-450 BC and has been in constant use for 3000 years.

The last beer to be featured is called Bengal Lancer and this is another ale that has historical connotations, this time to India during the time of the British Empire.

20170510_093420As it was too hot to brew beer in India the only solution was to ship it to the troops out there. However, all the beers at the time were unsuitable for the six month trip and eventually a prototype Indian Pale Ale (IPA) was brewed which gradually became paler and more refreshing for the Indian climate.

Several brewers made IPA and this particular one, brewed by Fuller’s, is named after the regiment of Bengal Lancers in the army.

bdcf0e86ca0dc5adaaa0e2307720d54a

The six beers bought for this post have been tantalisingly on display in our kitchen for the last week and my husband had to be reined in a couple of times as he’s tried to snag a bottle or two at night! At last, his patience will be rewarded and the bottles are duly released from duty. As he pours a glass of beer tonight, I’ll join him with a glass of … wine! I dislike the taste of any ales with a vengeance!

NB. Small segments of this post are taken directly from the labels attached to the beer bottles describing the origins of the beer names.

102 thoughts on “WHAT’S IN AN ALE NAME?

1. cathleentownsend says:

What an interesting read! I had no idea so much history went into beer names. I’ll match you with another piece of naming trivia–this one about chocolate. The Snickers bar was named after the Mars family horse. 🙂

Cathleen, this is even better!! As a chocoholic I love this trivia and I had no idea about Snickers the horse…I think they were once called Marathon or was this a separate chocolate bar? I wonder about other chocolate brand names…I feel research is in order and this time I’m doing the tasting!😀

• cathleentownsend says:

It was Snickers here from the very beginning, but you’re right about Marathon, too:

“In 1930[1] Mars introduced Snickers, named after the favorite horse of the Mars family.[6] The Snickers chocolate bar consists of nougat, peanuts, and caramel with a chocolate coating. The bar was marketed under the name “Marathon” in the UK and Ireland until July 19, 1990, when Mars decided to align the UK product with the global Snickers name (Mars had marketed and discontinued an unrelated bar named Marathon in the United States during the 1970s). There are also several other Snickers products such as Snickers mini, dark chocolate, ice cream bars, Snickers with almonds, Snickers with hazelnuts, Snickers peanut butter bars, Snickers protein and Snickers with Extra Caramel.[7]” from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snickers.

Taste away. You should really be certain as to which Snickers bar is your favorite. 🙂

2. Tina Frisco says:

A fascinating post on one of my favorite brews, Annika. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it ~ Old Speckled Hen and Old Peculier being two of my favorite names 🙂

What a fabulous post Annika. Who knew that beers had such a fascinating history, not me that’s for sure. And I loved the name and story of the Fursty Ferrett. Wonderful! My Doug and your hub can enjoy their ales while we cheers with our wine. 🍷

4. Sharon, Leadership2Mommyship says:

Who knew…stories behind beers. Now that’s something to think about. I like a beer every now and then. Ballast Point out of San Diego has a Thai chili pepper. That was delicious! And recently I’ve tried a cappuccino beer, late morning on a camping trip–it’s not the norm for me to have beverages that early! But we were taking it easy, 😉

Sharon, What exotic tasting beers! 😀 So unusual and I reckon the sounds of these will have the ale-lovers heading your way! Thai Chilli Pepper! I’d even give this a sip! And there’s a story behind that name of Ballast Point…As for the cappuccino beer, yeah! A great excuse for a taking it easy and another one I could see being a hit. Many thanks for sharing these! 😀

5. reocochran says:

Annika, I am embarrassed to say I don’t like beer or ales too much but there are lemon and ale or beer “summer shanty” drinks which have a sweeter taste and quite a kick to them! I like these as well as the ales which we call Redd’s apple sleds, which come in red or golden, their flavor isn’t quite as good as a real hard apple cider ale, though.
    I noticed the beautiful presentation (but saw Jill mention flowers and colors they brought out) so will say you did a lovely decorative post with lots of cool research an information, dear friend! xo 💟

Ahh…thank you so much, Robin! 😀❤️ I love my garden (you might have guessed!!) and wanted a way to make the bottles prettier than just a sterile glass bottle plonked on a table photo! I must admit some almost got swamped by the flowers. I love the sound of your ‘summer shanty’ drinks…and yeah, I can take a kick now and then! Oh, don’t start me on ciders…the first time I had one of those at university I didn’t even realise it was alcoholic, just thought it was an apple drink. Yikes! Redd’s apple sleds has me instantly picturing a sledge at the height of winter, the sharp red coloured apples a vibrant contrast to the crisp white snow…Many thanks for sharing your local ales and your lovely comment, Robin. Wishing your a great week ahead! 😀

Thank you, Kev and so glad you liked the post…I can see how this would resonate with all ale-aficionados! haha! 😀😃 Another vote for Newcastle Brown Ale!! Now we have an excuse to come to Newcastle…for my husband to try the local brew…I’d love to see the sights!😃

6. maryannniemczura says:

How fascinating the tales are in this blog. So much history and such fun with the names. I especially am drawn to the Old Speckled Hen and love the car. Watching British tv the other evening, I mentioned how I really liked the old car. My husband commented that the windows were too small. I think all cars around that era had small windows. What’s in a name is such a clever title for your blog. One of my sisters just returned from a trip to Ireland and Poland with two grandsons along. They also enjoyed beer so I saw photos with different beer names. I no longer imbibe but when I did, I too preferred wine. Thanks for such an enjoyable read today. We have HOT summer weather today and tomorrow until it becomes cooler. Close to 90 F or 30 C. Enjoy the beer! 🙂

Mary Ann, the car is just wonderful!! I hadn’t expected it to be one of those old ones, very atmospheric and the speckled effect is fantastic! I assumed they didn’t mind as otherwise, they could have found a different car-parking space!!😀😃 I hope your sister had a fantastic trip – both great countries. I travelled a lot in Ireland on business and the customers became close friends, always welcoming us into the family and even attended a wedding! My sister-in-law is Polish and her family are always so friendly. I’ll have to ask her about their beer names!

Wow! 30!! How did you weather swing so quickly?!! 😀 It didn’t seem long since you posted the snow photos! Enjoy the early Summer! Wishing you a lovely weekend. ❤️

• maryannniemczura says:

Speaking of cars, I loved the 1951 car Pippa rode in to the wedding earlier today. I happen to be a fan of vintage cars such as the Model T Ford so when I saw the speckled one for which the beer got its name, we were immediate friends. Upstate NY temperatures seem to be drastically different from one day to the next. I used to think spring lasted all of two days before we had summer weather. I have been viewing some of the festivities from Saudi Arabia today since I love other cultures and customs. I thought the sword dancing fascinating. Enough for now since I must sing in about one hour. Enjoy your weekend as well. 🙂

It’s funny how cars can evoke such a personal emotional response. Personally. I like the American 50s style cars, Cadillacs and such…and my husband arranged for a pink Cadillac for our wedding – a dream come true! Hope you had a lovely time yesterday evening with your music…it often comes to my mind. I’m so lucky to have my son’s piano music often filling the house, a blessing indeed. 😀❤️

Well, that was a fun bit of research and it’s produced a very tasty post, Annika. 🙂 🙂 I used to drink Old Peculier occasionally. Some of the country pubs nearby had it on tap and I didn’t mind once in a while. It did have a tendency to send me doolally-tap, though 🙂

Jo, I love the phrase ‘doolally-tap’ – this has me smiling! Now I’m definitely tempted to try a bit of the Old Peculier!😃 Not being a beer fan I really wasn’t expecting to enjoy the research so much, but I’m a sucker for a good story and interesting history and luckily the names delivered on both counts! 😃 Enjoy your visits to the country pubs…do they have views across the moors? Sigh…

8. Book Club Mom says:

What a clever post Annika! So fun to learn the history behind these brews. I love how you photographed them in with your plants and flowers. Very creative! Your post reminded me of our oldest son’s bottle cap collection. When he was little we spent hours and hours arranging them (with his cork collection!) by color and design. He’s 22 now, but he still has them! Cheers!

I love the sound of your son’s bottle cap collection – that is novel one! And corks too!! I am wondering by which criteria he would arrange them? Could he remember where each one came from? Before I started looking into the beer names in more detail I wasn’t convinced there would be enough interesting material to warrant a post; happily, that was not the case! I’m so glad you liked the photographs! At one stage I became rather too creative and wanted a beer by a beautifully blue flowering Ceanothus bush. I got the string and hung it on a branch…hmm…the strung up effect did NOT work!!😃

9. Tiny says:

Very interesting stories behind all these names! I don’t drink beer ( a red wine enthusiast), but loved to ‘taste’ their names 😄

I like your phrasing of ‘taste’ their name! 😀 The name Fursty Ferret doesn’t endear itself to me at all! Oh, red wine was my favourite for many years until I became allergic to it!! How unfair…hence the gentler less heavy white…

10. L. T. Garvin, Author says:

What an interesting history in names, who could possibly know about the rich history of beer. I I think these make Budweiser look pale in comparison. Like you, I’ve never been a fan of the beverage, but it is definitely the drink of many folks. These were all quite unique, but I think I really like Old Peculier and of course, the Peculier Court. Such a priceless name 😀

The imagination can run riot imagining the cases dealt by the Peculier Court!! I bet it was a riotous affair…😀 Lana your comment sent me looking into the Budweiser name and it’s named from the historic town of České Budějovice in the Czech Republic aka Budweis! The town was founded in 1265 and the buildings are stunning – surprising how interesting the name turned out to be! Hope your week is going well.😀

11. Sheila says:

I love history but I never would have thought beer would have such history! The ferret one really made me smile, especially with that ferret photo in there. I’m glad your husband was able to help with the research taste tests!

Ahh…another fan of the cute ferret photo…although I bet in real life they are not so cuddly at all!😀 I hadn’t expected such a rich and varied history and it definitely makes the beers more interesting – if not more tasteful to me! Oh yes, this was one task my husband was most happy to help out with – he was just impatient to get going on the taste tests!😀

Fascinating stuff! You know how some bet on a horse more by its name than by how fast it runs? I bet there are a lot of beer drinkers who choose their beer by its name and history! As I’ve gotten older I have appreciated beer more-particularly on a hot summer day. I haven’t seen any of the beers you mention here in America. Perhaps it means I have to come to England soon-during the summer of course- for a tall frosted mug of beer. 😎

Pam, that’s the only solution!!😀😃 To fly over here and try some of these beers, in a lovely pub garden with thatched roof, rambling roses and a pond in the village square with swans and ducks. (Such a place is nearby and quite famous in the locality and at the moment there is a big fight as the authorities want to replace the centuries old bridge straddling the river – another story!) Oh, isn’t that how you’re supposed to make bets on horses, according to its name?? The few times I’ve placed a bet on the Grand National this was the only method I used!😃❤️

• roughwighting says:

That’s the only way I choose the best horse also! 🙂 And I hope to come to your neck of the woods sometime – if I do, I’ll take you out to that pub garden – sounds so delightful.

13. Adrienne Morris says:

I remember traveling to Ireland and thinking all “light” beers were going to be like Budweiser here in the US. Boy was I wrong! I remember going to a concert with a bunch of cute Irish guys—but that’s about it. All I know is that I lost a shoe (I was young and foolish).

Adrienne, there is a story right there – you in Ireland at the concert, cute Irish guys and a LOST shoe!! 😀 Ahh…those young and foolish days; I always do wonder how I got to this time of reminiscing! Knowing nothing about beers I must admit researching this has been an eye-opener – so many beers, methods of brewing – a specialty and craft of its own!

Who would think I would avidly read a post about beer labels. But you did it–made it all so interesting. I haven’t heard of any of these brews, but am going to check for them the next time I’m shopping.

I did worry that the subject matter would turn readers away…not a beer fan myself I was hoping people would become caught up in the stories – so glad this seems to have worked and you enjoyed the post. I wonder if these ales are available in America? Whilst in Florida last year we came across Barefoot wine which we’d never seen here in the UK before but then all of a sudden it’s become a huge hit. Very odd!

15. dgkaye says:

Wow, I didn’t know that beer names had such rich history. I have to wonder if men drink beer now for the flavor or the story behind the names, lol. Great job Annika,

Haha! We can but wonder, Debby! My husband seems to have an addiction to reading labels and at times, such as this post, it can be useful otherwise quite irritating!!😃😀 I loved learning about the history behind the names and it’s been great to share the knowledge here! Many thanks for your comment and have a good week.

Christy, I wasn’t aware of the depth and history of these names either and it was so interesting to find out the story behind them. I’ve looked up the history of first names before and became caught up in reading about them as it’s so fascinating.😀

16. JC says:

Thank you, Annika, for the interesting lesson. Maybe we shouldn’t allow a beer to be served until the history is recited. There is a beer here in the states named Roling Rock and it has a peculiar number on the bottle, “33”. Some speculate that 33 is the number of words on the bottle but most believe it is a sign of evil or a secret code or it stands for the Freemasons. One story is the founder bet on a horse, #33 and it won and with the money, he started the brewery. Still, others believe it takes 33 steps to make Rolling Rock. Others believe it was a mistake but they didn’t have the heart to change it. All in all, it is a good beer.

Wow, JC! That is a wonderfully confused history to beer #33!! I’d be tempted to explore this further and to find out the truth – it would be easy enough to count the words on the bottle and see if that theory holds out. The Freemason option opens up a whole new are to research…thank you so much for sharing this beer and its name. Glad it tastes good as well!😀

17. Marje @ Kyrosmagica says:

Interesting post, love some of the names but perhaps you should have added a tiger in there! My dad’s favourite beer is Tiger beer brewed in Asia. It became the first solar powered brewery in 2015. Check out their website… 🙂

I like the sound of Tiger beer, Marje and thanks for suggesting another to the list.😀 I look forward to reading more about it. Silly parental control of wifi won’t let me access here at home, such temperamental settings so I’ll have a look at my mother’s tomorrow. Great that they are solar-powered. Wouldn’t work too well in the UK…especailly the last few weeks!

Haha!! 😀 Your comment has me chuckling away and has been a hit with the whole family. ‘ The more the bitter, er, better’. Brilliant! Oh, so it just isn’t my husband who’s addicted to reading labels then?!!😀😃 I must say I can see his point now, the stories behind the ales are terrific and think I’ll become a closest label-reader! Many thanks for your comment, Michael.

Tanya, I wonder if you’ve come across any unusually named beers and know the story behind them? It definitely makes the drink more interesting…although I’ve tried them on and off, I just can’t get to like the taste!😀

18. Jill Weatherholt says:

I had no idea there were so many stories behind each label. This was a fascinating post, Annika and so well researched. I love how you strategically placed the bottles next to flowers that highlighted the colors of each label. Cheers!

Jill, you’re not the only one who wasn’t aware of the stories behind the beers! 😀 My husband has been reading them out to me over many years but my mind must have drifted off to other (more important!!) matters!! Once I paid attention and researched further I became hooked and started reading up about the wars, MG history & Thomas Beckett. So glad you liked the photos of the bottles…I hadn’t realised that the bottles highlighted the colours of the labels, that’s great. I am still in full love-my-garden mode and wanted to add an element of the outdoors to what could be a boring bottle! Cheers!!😀

How interesting, Annika. I was imagining you and your husband totally sloshed in an effort to read the labels on as many bottles as possible. Ha ha. What fun, though! I never really thought about the history of ale names. I think the Old Speckled Hen was my favorite story as it came about so organically. Now you’ll need to do the same for wines! Happy Mother’s Day ❤

Diana, this is a brilliant idea – wines next time!!😀 I wonder if the history will be as rich though as many of the wines are quite new…I love research though and look forward to it! And to all the wine sampling…I’ve visited a couple of vineyards in France and they were fabulous. Sloshed, eh?! There I was thinking that was such a typical English word…and I’m sure that would neeevverrr bee meee…where was I?? 😃

• D. Wallace Peach says:

We live near wine country in Oregon and our plan is to visit a different vineyard every Saturday! Ha ha. Now I’ll make a point of asking about the names. 🙂 Some of them are very creative too.

That sounds like pure bliss, Diana! Maybe you’ll make this a reality…sometime. 😃 Let me know if you learn anything interesting about the names. Enjoy the tours and tasting!

20. roughseasinthemed says:

I’m anotherone who knew about Old Peculier, although none of the others. Interesting post for a Sunday read with a difference.

Here’s another piece of research for you … did Solebay/Sole Bay get its name from local fishing practices?

Now you’ve challenged me and I guess the Solebay/Sole Bay got its name from the fishing practices but google not much help. I’m wondering if this doesn’t require some hands on research – good excuse for a day trip to the coast!! 😀
      Yes, definitely a post with a difference! I’m always a sucker for stories, whatever their origin! Have a great Sunday!😀

• roughseasinthemed says:

I wonder if they were lemon sole or dover sole? Probably dover as lemon inhabit deeper waters. Dover is on the redlist now. Something else people are killing to death. Used to love it in my pre-veg days. But no more 🙂

21. Bernadette says:

Next time Dom orders an IPA, I will have a story for him thanks to you. I got my first MG in 1979, so Old Speckled Hen will also be a story I remember. Happy Sunday Annika.

I bet Dom will be impressed with your ale knowledge – the IPA one was the only one I knew off by heart (I’d heard the story MANY times from my husband!) Yeah, I love the look of those MGs – rather different from the Speckled one! Wishing you a special Sunday, Bernadette!😀

Love this post! Now I want to look into the origins of the names of the ales I like 🙂 It’d be fun to find out where “Moon Man” or “Spotted Cow” came from. Then there’s “Helles Yeah!” and “Canoe Paddler”. Hmm, this could be an interesting and tasty challenge 😀

Happy Mother’s Day, Annika!

Julie, you must write a post about those ale names….I just love them and am so intrigued. 😀 ‘Moon Man’ – my imagination starts spinning on that one. Wishing you a lovely Sunday surrounded by your family! 😀 Happy Mother’s Day!

Many thanks, Neil! 😀 I like the sound of ‘beer geek’ and I’m sure my husband will adopt that title! Seriously, even the smell of some beers has be backing away…Despite trying to edge my son towards liking wine it seems he likes a sip of beer now and then instead! I have to laugh!

23. Anonymous says:

I really enjoyed this post Annika, which was one after my own heart. I knew about Old Peculier (one of my favourites by the way) and Old Speckled Hen, but the story behind Broadside came as a surprise, as did Bishops Finger. A really enjoyable and informative post, and I can sympathise with your husband – fancy having all these bottles and not being able to open any of them. After reading this I am now off to thesupermarket to do some research of my own! What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Many thanks, Mike!! 😀😀 I am beginning to gather there is a little-known addiction of label-reading across the county!! Broadside had an unexpected historical connection and one that stopped me in my tracks as I tried to imagine all those ships, those men, a battle of ten hours or so. I got carried away researching for this beer and ended up on a local website…absolutely fascinating. Enjoy those beers..!😀

24. Andrea Stephenson says:

It’s true you can get inspiration from anything Annika – I’ve heard of many of these and they do have evocative names, but I didn’t know they had such fascinating and surprising stories behind them.

That is what is fascinating about the world around us, it’s possible to draw inspiration from anything around us! Having said that, I must admit it was my mother who pointed how this would make such a good post as once again we were regaled about India Pale Ale by my husband!😀 Evocative is definitely the word for some of these names and some of the history is amazing. Do you know of any other ones?

What a wonderful story Annika and kudos to all this research.
    I find your post both fun, amusing and so amazingly full of history.

Oh, I have half listened to Englishmen too, almost poetically muttering about their
    Ales. Never did I take more then cursory interest. E.g. Speckled hen I guessed came
    from the breed of hens in the area:). An MG, goodness.

And it gets more and more exciting. I loved the story about the “Old Peculier” which is the only ale I had tried and fell for whilst living in the lovely market town of Otley. Little did I know that it was not ‘peculiar’.:)
    Altogether an amazing post and a fun way to drink in history. I bet your husband will agree.
    miriam

Many thanks for your wonderful comment, Miriam. 😀 Yep, Old Peculier sounds like it should be Peculiar and I often wondered if the beer was rather odd! 😀 It is brilliant that it stretches so far back into history and the ancient court. As for Speckled Hen, that was a lovely surprise that it wasn’t as expected the bird rather an old car…great fun facts! Oh, my husband definitely enjoyed the research for the post, ie. buying the beers and now drinking them but also he was happily surprised by the full story behind the names. Soon dinner time, so best just open that bottle…of wine!😀

26. Karen says:

Your husband certainly enjoyed his ale.Old Speckled Hen and Fursty Ferret are the ones I know. I usually prefer stout, try ales as well.
    You may have guessed it already – I dislike the taste of wine as much as you dislike ales, Annika. 😉

Oh, my husband is so happy he was finally allowed to access these beers! 😀 Just in time to drink one whilst watching the Eurovision last night. I just love these great names, but no, not my taste at all!! I like how we’re so different on this…during business trips to Ireland I had to sip the Guinness pints which the customers bought for me but it was really hard! I have heard its iron content would be good for me though since I’m a vegetarian! Wishing you a lovely Sunday, Karen!

• Karen says:

😀
        It is always a pleasure to communicate with a fellow vegetarian, Annika.
        A world without coffee, books, Irish stouts – would be a sad one. 😉