A WORLD OF ROSES

A proliferation of roses greets me every morning in the garden. Each one a blessing after the rather dismal and grey winter and spring here in the UK, and perhaps the damp weather aided the spectacular display. More than ever the rose bushes are in a glorious and abundant show of flowers with endless buds biding their time for their turn to bloom.

‘Queen of Sweden’ rose

As I view the flowers with awe, inspecting the new arrivals, snipping away those that have withered, I started to ponder about roses. How I’ve always taken them for granted yet know so little about them.

To accompany just some of my photos, particularly of my pink David Austin ‘Queen of Sweden’ which at one stage had over seventy buds, I’m also sharing some fun facts about roses which I encountered on my research.

• There are over 100 different species of roses, and over a staggering 13,000 identifiable varieties!
  • Their cultivation began around 5000 years ago in Asia although the oldest fossil of roses dates back 35 millions years.
Hildesheim Cathedral Rosebush
  • The oldest surviving rose is over 1,000 years old and grows against the wall of the Hildesheim Cathedral in Germany. The roots of the rose bush survived when the cathedral was destroyed during bombings in World War II.
  • There are no black roses, although those referred to as such are in fact a dark red-crimson colour.
  • The buds of the tiniest rose is only the size of a grain of rice, whilst the largest rose, bred by a rose specialist in California, measures approximately 83 cm / 33 inches in diameter.
  • The leading exporter of roses is the Netherlands with 19,768 acres of land growing roses. Meanwhile, Bulgaria is famous for its Rose Valley which has for centuries produced up to 85% of the world’s rose oil.
Roses in Bulgaria
  • The world’s most expensive rose variety cost over £3 million / $5 million to cultivate during 15 years of work by the famous rose breeder David Austin. The ‘Juliet’ rose, with its neatly-arranged petals nestling folds within the heart of the bloom, is especially popular for weddings.
Bouquet of David Austin’s ‘Juliet’ roses
  • The ‘Shady Lady’, as it is unofficially known, or ‘Lady Banksia’, its official name, in Arizona is the world’s largest rose bush with a circumference of around 3.6 m / 12 feet. The seedling, brought over by a young bride from her native Scotland 134 years ago, has a canopy today that stretches over 800 square metres / 9,000 square feet and a forest of roses appear in Spring.
  • There are over 4,000 songs dedicated to roses and one that I’m most familiar is the moving ‘La Vie en Rose’. This has been covered by many artists and recently became known to a younger audience through its feature on the TV show “How I Met Your Mother”. I discovered this wonderful version by the fabulously talented Louis Armstrong and it’s a delight to share here.

Finally, in case you want to see some more roses, here is a video of my ‘Queen of Sweden’ rose bush. Enjoy and listen out for the ice-cream van tune … one that often has me dashing inside for money and then eagerly queuing for a ’99-Flake’ (which alas costs more than 99 pence these days!)

Note: Some of you might have noticed that I have been less busy than usual with blogging, All is well, however as so often happens life has been extremely hectic in recent weeks. With time I will be visiting as before, but ask for you understanding if I am less active for a while.

156 thoughts on “A WORLD OF ROSES

1. Vashti Q says:

Hello, Annika! Your garden is gorgeous! Thank you for all the rose information, it was very interesting. The ‘Queen of Sweden’ Rose video was lovely too. 😀 xo

Ahh … thank you so much, Vashti! 😀 The garden is a relaxing haven and the roses are always special. The Queen of Sweden is still flowering but interestingly the flowers are now much smaller than in the video. Hope you’re having a lovely summer! Hugs xx

Thank you, Daal … roses are special and at the weekend I was at a RHS garden and learnt even more about them. Didn’t see eggplants in the vegetable garden but was great to see sweet corn growing and read about killer tomatoes! 😀

2. throughrosetintedglasses54 says:

What a lovely rose bush Annika, I’m enjoying the white roses in my garden this year as I’ve never had any before. I don’t know what they are called but they smell absolutely gorgeous. Love the interesting rose facts too.

Alison, your white roses sound heavenly! 😀 It must be a wonderful treat to enjoy them for the first time. Are you able to pick some to bring indoors? I’m glad you enjoyed the facts about roses – some incredible ones! Happy Weekend to you! 😀🌹

3. Anonymous says:

Enjoyed your post, Annika – such astounding facts about roses (like the number of species, cultivation began in Asia). And a fab song …

Ahh … thank you so much, Libby! 😀 The garden is a blessing and the work over the year truly rewards in the summer months … just came in from breakfast out in the gravel garden surrounded by flowers, espeically sweet peas!😀

Libby, enriching is just the perfect word to describe the garden! 😀 Enjoying it whilst resting, at meal times is a pure delight, but also working in it heals / calms the soul and opens the mind and heart to creative thought. Blessing indeed! Thank you for reading and your lovely comment.

4. inese says:

Beautiful roses, Annika. I also love the bird chirping in background in the video 🙂
    Rose valley is magnificent. Learned some things from your blog, as always.

Inese, we are so lucky to have many birds in the area and they provide a delightful accompaniment to the day! The wild roses have just come into bloom and a joy to behold. Thank you so much for your kind comment … I always love learning something new and fun to share here! 😀🌹