A WORLD OF ROSES

A proliferation of roses greets me every morning in the garden. Each one a blessing after the rather dismal and grey winter and spring here in the UK, and perhaps the damp weather aided the spectacular display. More than ever the rose bushes are in a glorious and abundant show of flowers with endless buds biding their time for their turn to bloom.

‘Queen of Sweden’ rose

As I view the flowers with awe, inspecting the new arrivals, snipping away those that have withered, I started to ponder about roses. How I’ve always taken them for granted yet know so little about them.

To accompany just some of my photos, particularly of my pink David Austin ‘Queen of Sweden’ which at one stage had over seventy buds, I’m also sharing some fun facts about roses which I encountered on my research.

• There are over 100 different species of roses, and over a staggering 13,000 identifiable varieties!
  • Their cultivation began around 5000 years ago in Asia although the oldest fossil of roses dates back 35 millions years.
Hildesheim Cathedral Rosebush
  • The oldest surviving rose is over 1,000 years old and grows against the wall of the Hildesheim Cathedral in Germany. The roots of the rose bush survived when the cathedral was destroyed during bombings in World War II.
  • There are no black roses, although those referred to as such are in fact a dark red-crimson colour.
  • The buds of the tiniest rose is only the size of a grain of rice, whilst the largest rose, bred by a rose specialist in California, measures approximately 83 cm / 33 inches in diameter.
  • The leading exporter of roses is the Netherlands with 19,768 acres of land growing roses. Meanwhile, Bulgaria is famous for its Rose Valley which has for centuries produced up to 85% of the world’s rose oil.
Roses in Bulgaria
  • The world’s most expensive rose variety cost over £3 million / $5 million to cultivate during 15 years of work by the famous rose breeder David Austin. The ‘Juliet’ rose, with its neatly-arranged petals nestling folds within the heart of the bloom, is especially popular for weddings.
Bouquet of David Austin’s ‘Juliet’ roses
  • The ‘Shady Lady’, as it is unofficially known, or ‘Lady Banksia’, its official name, in Arizona is the world’s largest rose bush with a circumference of around 3.6 m / 12 feet. The seedling, brought over by a young bride from her native Scotland 134 years ago, has a canopy today that stretches over 800 square metres / 9,000 square feet and a forest of roses appear in Spring.
  • There are over 4,000 songs dedicated to roses and one that I’m most familiar is the moving ‘La Vie en Rose’. This has been covered by many artists and recently became known to a younger audience through its feature on the TV show “How I Met Your Mother”. I discovered this wonderful version by the fabulously talented Louis Armstrong and it’s a delight to share here.

Finally, in case you want to see some more roses, here is a video of my ‘Queen of Sweden’ rose bush. Enjoy and listen out for the ice-cream van tune … one that often has me dashing inside for money and then eagerly queuing for a ’99-Flake’ (which alas costs more than 99 pence these days!)

Note: Some of you might have noticed that I have been less busy than usual with blogging, All is well, however as so often happens life has been extremely hectic in recent weeks. With time I will be visiting as before, but ask for you understanding if I am less active for a while.

156 thoughts on “A WORLD OF ROSES

Fatima, what a lovely maiden name! 😀 Was it hard to change to your new name when you married? I had a great time researching the facts about roses and feel I now appreciate them on a whole new level (and also take much better care of them!) 😀

• fatimasaysell says:

I didn’t like having to change my name, but was advised to do so at the job centre, as a British name made it easier to get a job back then. The funny thing is that my passport is still on my maiden name, as it is the custom in Spain, where women don’t take their husband’s name when they marry. 😉👍
        It must have been lovely and very interesting doing all that research on roses. Enjoy the fruit of your labour!

1. Sue Dreamwalker says:

I so loved your Garden Roses Annika. I can see why your rose bush was called Queen of Sweden. Just BEAUTIFUL… My Granddad loved his rose garden and I remember taking him often to garden nurseries to find the types of roses he wanted..

My Daughter planted a Rose bush after her Granddad passed away, She Found one with my Dad’s name and my hubby’s Dad’s name .. The Rose is a Yellow one called Graham-Thomas Climbing Rose..

So loved reading the many facts.. Many I did not know..
    Loved your images Annika.
    Sending much love your way ❤ ❤ ❤

Ahhh … Sue, what a beautiful memory for your daughter to honour her grandfather and how great that the rose bush also bears your husband’s name. I’ve looked up the rose and wow! It is beautiful, an abundance of roses which are so exquisite. Are they scented?

One of our last trips out with my father-in-law was to David Austin Roses … a lovely and special day and it’s here he bought this Queen of Sweden for us. My grandmother had a wonderful red climbing rose in her garden and I planted something similar at the back of my garden here. It’s heartwarming to see it during the spring / summer days.

It was such fun researching these facts and so many astonished me – makes us appreciate roses on a whole new level!

After all the stormy rainy weather, I hope the sun is shining for you today! We need the chance to enjoy the outdoors, absorb its healing energy. Love & hugs xx ❤️🌺🌼🌻🌸🌹

• Sue Dreamwalker says:

What a lovely last memory with your Father in Law and a beautiful rose he bought to last and last..

The weather is warming, the days are sunnier here and you will find me outdoors more and more during Summer.. You too enjoy your garden, your swing, I often smile when I am on my own swing, knowing you too have enjoy sitting in your garden as much as I do..
        Tell Sammy I loved his latest couple of video’s too, I have not as yet logged in to say so, but an alert came in via my phone and I watched on my phone.. So much talent he has, you must be So very proud..
        Enjoy your Summer Solstice Evening.. Its hubbies Birthday today, so we have been out and about..
        Much Love Annika and thank you. ❤ ❤ ❤

Sue, wishing your husband a lovely birthday – it’s my hubbies birthday too! As well as Midsummer celebrations.

Thank you so much for your comment about Sammy’s music and I’ll definitely tell him. It means a lot to him. He’s relishing playing and recording once again now A-levels are all finished.

Hugs and cheers to you from me and swing bench to you on yours. ❤️😀

• Sue Dreamwalker says:

Well, I never… Indeed Summer Solstice a day no one forgets in both house holds lol… I hope your Hubby enjoyed his day also..
            And I hope to be telling Sammy myself some time soon… 🙂 And so happy the stress of his A levels are now behind him.
            ❤ Hugs ❤

Jina, I did indeed count up to seventy rosebuds on my bush … that’s when I gave up but there were more! 😀😀 It’s still flowering strong and beautifully, inspite of violent stormy weather, a gentle dusting of rose petals on the ground. I know, 83 cm sounds impossible and I double checked this fact on another website as I couldn’t quite believe it. I wonder how the stems can bear the weight?

2. Teagan R. Geneviene says:

What a beautiful post, Annika. That “tree” in front of the chapel is a rose bush? Seriously? It would be grand to see it in bloom.
    I finally got relocated to the desert southwest (USA). It’s “high desert” at 4,000+ feet elevation, so we still have a good deal of plants and trees. Although, I was amazed by the number of roses in this area. Despite my complete lack of a green thumb, the roses in my new (to me) cottage are doing well. None of them are as gorgeous as roses in moister climates, but still beautiful and colorful.
    Hugs on the wing.

Teagan, I’m astonished that roses grow in the desert but I guess it must be cooler so high up. How wonderful that you are surrounded by roses – just the sight and fragrance of them is instantaneously uplifting! Every year I prune them back, feed them during the summer but otherwise they do so well by themselves. I hope your move went well and you are settling into your new home and area. It is always incredibly stressful time … you will probably need to enjoy the tranquillity of your new garden! Do you have a lot of exotic flowers/plants?

Amazingly, that is a rose in front of the cathedral and I think it wonderful and astonishing that it survived whilst the cathedral fell during the war. It must be a spectacular sight when in full bloom, I agree. Reading up a bit more about the rose bush/tree it is ‘ A Rosa canina, commonly known as a wild dog rose.’
      Hugs back to you, Teagan and lovely to chat about roses! xx

3. maryannniemczura says:

Roses = love. A recommended read would be by Vanessa Diffenbaugh: The Language of Flowers. It contains a dictionary of flowers and their meanings. I love the colors and stories behind the roses you featured. I am hard pressed to say which color I prefer. I do like roses which have a wonderful scent however. Besides practicing music for Prague in August, I am devouring books from various book clubs. Happy reading, writing and tending your roses.

Mary Ann, this Swedish Rose has a beautiful fragrance, gentle, sophisticated, one that always raises a smile! 😀I’m not surprised Roses = Love – they’re always associated with romance (and I received some this morning from my husband as he returned from the weekly food shop!)

Your Spring/Summer days sound perfect – a mix of music and books and you must be so excited about your upcoming trip to Prague. Have a most brilliant time and make sure to see some of this historic and stunning city. I’m off to Jersey in a couple of weeks (20th Wedding Anniversary) and can’t wait to walk the beaches and visit the lavender fields! I’ll still make sure to take lots of good books. I like the look of The Language of Flowers and it reminds me of a pretty and dainty book my mother bought me as a child, all about flowers and their meanings. After searching my bookcases I’ve just found it – The Language of Flowers by Kate Greenway. It is a ‘Charming reproduction of rare volume by famed 19th-century illustrator includes abundantly illustrated list of over 200 plants and their figurative equivalents — tulip = fame; blue violet = faithfulness, etc. Selection of flower-related verses, including “To a Mountain Daisy” by Robert Burns, appears at back of book. 85 full-color illustrations.’ It lists lots of individual roses and their different interpretations. Many thanks for your lovely comment and for reminding me of my precious book! Wishing you a blessed weekend filled with music, literature and joy! xx

• maryannniemczura says:

Annika – I truly appreciate your kind comment. That book of flowers with illustrations sounds quite wonderful too. Take plenty of photos in Jersey and Happy Anniversary to you. Enjoy your time there. The perfect mix of books and music is now here along with some great weather. So as I practice in preparation for our Prague adventure, I will think of you and your books. I can’t seem to slow down or stop so I quite understand why you/we MUST read. Have a happy weekend doing things you love. oxox

Cynthia, thank you so much! 😀 I love them – just wish I could be out more in the garden to appreciate them; England is under a deluge these past few days. Hope all is well with you. xx

• Cynthia Reyes says:

Hope it ends soon, Annika! We’ve had our deluge(s) and we hope to sail into summer soon. The rain’s been good for the plants but it came with grey, grey, grey skies.

• krittica bh says:

I live in India…. we do have rose gardens…in fact I have 2 rose plants in my garden…. it’s so refreshing to wake up to the red vibrant petals. I have always loved the UK. Such remarkable beauty. Have always wanted to go there and take a whole tour of the intricate precision of the place.

That field in Bulgaria looks astounding. The last place I would have gone to see roses! Currently I’m watching the washing blow as we’re just back from a wonderful trip to the Azores but roses were always my mother’s favourite and I’ve inherited her joy in them. Take care, Annika, and visit when you can 😍💕

Jo, I found the photo of the Bulgarian roses almost surreal, stunningly so! Wow! I just read your post about the Azores and it looks amazing … have you ‘landed’ yet within yourself!? Watching washing dry on the line is quite grounding and soothing i always find. Thank you for your lovely comment, my friend … roses are precious in so many ways and may your mother’s love of them always bring you joy. 🌹

• restlessjo says:

Our cases didn’t make it back with us due to a swift turnaround in Lisbon, Annika, but they were delivered to our door on Monday evening. 2 lots of washing done and dried. Portuguese homework this morning! We did manage to speak a little in the Azores 😆 xx

Amazing facts, Annika. I find bush roses and climbing roses very easy to grow – in other words, they flourish despite my mangled attempts to care for them. And what a treat to see them bloom all summer long. A post that made me smile, my friend. Thank you!

Diana, from the few photos you’ve posted of your garden/land, I’m not surprised your roses flourish. You are surrounded by a magical oasis of nature – rejuvenating and inspiring! So happy you enjoyed a glimpse into my roses and their history! Keep well, my friend! xx

6. Roy McCarthy says:

Crikey, all you could ever hope to know about roses 🙂 One of my favourite Elton John tracks has the line ‘I thought I knew, but now I know that rose trees never grow in New York City.’

Roy, these were just a handful of facts I discovered! 😀😀 I must admit I hold roses in much higher regard now! Thank you so much for sharing this moving song by Elton John … a song with rose which was not mentioned anywhere else. I was particularly touched by his introduction and dedication of the song to Daniel Pearl – ever since young I’ve had a deep interest in current affairs and worked in journalism to start with. As Elton John says many who work in the industry put their lives on the line and continue, in spite of the bad rap of the press, to seek the truth.

Beautiful, Annika! And I had no idea that roses have been cultivated for so long! And fossils? Wow! My personal favorite roses are those that aren’t yellow or pink. I love that they have blue roses now, and they are paying more attention to the fragrance these days as well. I remember when hybrid roses had hardly any scent at all (although the old-fashioned rose fragrance doesn’t appeal to me–makes me think of old ladies, like 80-90 yr old ladies).

Julie, I’m smiling at your final comment … I must admit I never known anyone use rose oil fragrance and wonder if it was popular before perfume prices came down? I did see the blue rose whilst researching and looks amazing! So many petals! I’m glad that fragrances are becoming a key element of roses as after viewing them, I’ll always dip my head and inhale the fragrance! Divine … in most cases although always surprised when there is none! Oh, I wonder what will survive of our world in 35 million years?! 😀

Your magnificent photos allow me to SMELL the roses over the internet airwaves, Annika. Ahhhhh. I love love love roses, but I do have a lot of British blood in me. Before my first visit to England my idea of your country was tons of roses of every variety. I was not disappointed. We traveled in July. It was cold, rainy, and the roses thrived in every village we visited. Well done! As is your post. I love the rose facts.
    Funny, I was going to next blog about all of my flower vases, featuring… a red rose! But I skipped this Friday – like you, life is making me way too busy. But maybe next Friday. In the meantime, I’m so happy whenever and every time you are able to share a part of yourself and your life here with us. xo

Pam, my heart smiles every time I see a comment from yourself and I’m beaming away! 😀 Yeah! My words and images are transformed into actual smells and fragrances! 😀 How magical! The ‘Queen of Sweden’ has a whimsical, light perfume, with a hint of sophistication. Oh dear, your July visit weather in England was most unfortunate but typical alas, yet perfect for roses. This explains the bountiful haul of them this year! Last year we had a heatwave summer and they withered a bit earlier than usual.

Ahh … I can’t wait to read about your flower vases and see your featured rose image! I hope all is okay with you and your family and totally understand that life beyond blogging has to take precedence. Likewise, always a joy and lift to read your posts when you have a chance! Love & hugs xx ❤️

Spectacular photos Annika. My roses appear one of two at a time. How do you do it? If must be great to see all those roses in the morning, even when it’s raining. Thanks for the potted history of roses too. I learnt very much from that. I am now committed to having more rose bushes (and roses) in my garden next year.

Mike, funny you should mention roses in the rain … as even in a torrential downpour today I’m admiring the roses, from the window, I hasten to add! 😀Preparing the ground and a good position is key to a good rose I find … the one mainly featured here is from David Austin Roses which is a beautiful visit for an afternoon out in its own right! Good luck with your garden and flowers next year – wishing you many blooms! 😀 🌹

Thank you so much, Brigid! It was a joy to write this post and the Queen of Sweden is incredible – and luckily all the blooms seem to be surviving the blustery weather! Good to be back here on WP and chatting away – it just won’t be as frequent for a while. Hope you’re having a lovely weekend and the sun is shining in Ireland! xx

• watchingthedaisies says:

It always amazes me how flowers can be so resilient. The rain has been falling here for 2 solid weeks Annika. However, it was so badly needed as we have had very little rain this past year. xx

Annika, your post is just incredibly beautiful and appeal to all my senses. The visual beauty of
    your wonderful garden, the feeling of music in your poetic/prose presentation of all this beauty.
    The music you chosen for us which so harmonises with your stunning photos.
    First rose fossil 35 million years old. Wow. and you continue giving such vivid history of this beloved flower.
    So much, I can only say that you created a garden to always be proud and joyful about and made us see so much deeper into this flower.

Wow! 😀🌺 Miriam, I’m overwhelmed with the beauty and wonder in your comment – thank you so much. I wanted to make a visually appealing post and to share the roses in my garden, and for us all to learn along the way. I was staggered to read about the 35 million-year-old fossil rose – I wouldn’t have thought they existed then. Teaches us not to take them for granted!

Ahh… I do love my garden deeply, it gives me joy, peace and brings a sense of harmony to my spirit. Now, if only this rain would leave us for a while and let the sun shine! 😀

Thank you also for your last sentence – writes the expert of writing poetry who always delves so much deeper than the initial subject! ❤️

Beautiful photos, Annika. The Juliet roses are so unusual. My grandma, Rose, always used rose perfume and rose lotion. I always think of her when I smell roses. (My youngest daughter is also named Rose.

In the US, we get lots of roses imported from Ecuador and Columbia.

Rose and roses are an integral part of your being, Nicki. Your descriptions of your grandmother are both tender and loving – I must admit that as I wrote about the rose oil I realise I never knew anyone who used it! How special that your youngest is named after her great-grandma – did she ever have a chance to meet her?

It’s interesting that roses are imported from Ecuador and Colombia but not surprising as this is a lot closer to America. Reading up about it, combined they export ca. 15% of the word’s roses, with Holland at 48%.

12. balroop2013 says:

What a fragrant, soothing and informative post Annika, and then linking it with music! Wow! Love your garden of roses and those images you have shared are heavenly. Thank you for sharing so many facts about roses…they are in full bloom these days around us too and now whenever I would look at them, I would remember you too! I think Rose is one flower, which everybody likes, as it symbolises love. Just one rose bud means so much to two loving hearts.
    Thanks for sharing that video. Hope you are having a good time and enjoying the lovely gifts of Mother Nature. Stay blessed.

Balroop, heartfelt thanks for your deep and moving comment. With some warm and sunny days, it is heavenly to be out and enjoy Mother Nature, commune with the plants and birds! 😀 I love to sit and watch the bumble bees buzzing around busily, minding their own business, whilst inhaling the fragrances of the roses. How wonderful that you too are surrounded by roses and flowers! I enjoyed researching these facts and sharing them here and glad you liked the videos! Wishing you a magical serene time outdoors, becoming one with the peace of Nature! Hugs xx

13. smilecalm says:

most beautiful and informative, Annika!
    i live with a yard that has a couple dozen roses
    planted by my partner’s English mother 40 years ago.
    they look and smell delightful.
    now i have even greater appreciation of them
    thanks to your sweet rose. the clip was nice, too 🙂

David, how special to have an ‘English’ rose garden in your yard, and knowing America this yard is much more of a garden than a small cement patio at the back of a house as the meaning is in the U.K. I imagine this is a haven for you all, and the sight and fragrances must be incredible. Have you ever posted about it? I’m glad my facts here add a bit to your knowledge of roses … it’s always a joy to learn! Thank you for your lovely comment and watching the little clip – it was the only way I could show the whole bush! Happy Weekend to you and your family. 😀

14. Clare Pooley says:

What gorgeous roses you have in your garden! I love roses and in former gardens we had quite a few but not many here. They don’t seem to like the soil and have a hard time trying to stay alive.
    I loved your video with the chirping sparrows and the ice-cream van! That rose is such a lovely pink!

Thank you so much, Clare! 😀 We have been lucky to have beautiful roses since we planted them over the years, the soil is good and it’s a south-facing garden. This year however they’ve excelled themselves, and many of my friends and family say the same about theirs – we’ve been swapping photos! Overall, our garden has a cottage-garden feel to it and I think if we ever moved I’d miss that more than the house! It’s a pity though how grey and cold this Spring has been and yet again rain this afternoon! I won’t be running out to the ice-cream van today! Happy Gardening and have a lovely weekend. 😀🌺🌸

15. Sharon Bonin-Pratt says:

Annika, your opening paragraph lured me to read the rest of this interesting article, a fitting tribute to such a beautiful flower. I don’t know if the roses honor you more or you them. Thank you for the wealth of fascinating knowledge about them. I carried roses (small pink sweetheart roses) in my wedding bouquet as many brides do.

I wish you well as you sort through your responsibilities,

Sharon, I’m so glad my first paragraph tempted you to read on … it is so important to entice a reader whether a book, story, post or letter! I will spend more time mulling over these opening sentences than any other aspect of the post – once this is in place the rest seems to write itself. In our garden I feel they are more honoured by us rather than the other way round; we are always out there (weather permitting), admiring them, enjoying the fragrance, cutting some to bring indoors! Your small pink sweetheart roses sound delightful and I agree, roses are a must as part of a wedding bouquet!

Thank you for your well wishes and you are not far off the mark. Hope life is good for you and that your book is coming along well. xx

16. Bette A. Stevens says:

Glorious blooms, Annika! Enjoyed Louis Armstrong’s wonderful music too… ❤ Our season is quite late this year–fruit tree blossoms and lilacs in bloom. Will be a few weeks before the rose buds appear. Thanks for this lovely post. ❤ Hugs and blessings, dear friend.

Bette, how lovely that you have your fruit trees and lilacs in bloom; here they have finished flowering and luckily the roses make up for the loss of colour in the garden. It’s rewarding to have a well-balanced planting that flowers through the season (although I must admit I happened on this more by chance than considered action!) I’m so happy you enjoyed the roses and the song … it is covered by so many but his version reaches straight to one’s heart! warmest hugs to you, my friend & good luck with your latest book! ❤️

Marje, I’m chuckling over your ‘floral diversion’! Well described and I am easily distracted by the flowers in the garden … as well as the weeds that need to come out! How exciting about your second book and good luck with the final edits. Thank you so much for your comment and lovely to see you out on WP now and then. Everyone understands time pressures. Have a wonderful start to June! Xx

Oh, what a lovely rose garden you have. I wish I had a green thumb. I tried planting flowers in my yard for the first time in my life this year. Some are doing well, others, not-so-much. 😦 I know nothing about flowers or plants, not even their names. The only flowers I recognize by name are tulips and roses. Thank you for sharing and giving me knowledge about roses I had not known before.

P.S. L. Marie wrote about flowers today, too. 🙂

Lori, thank you so much! 😀 We have a wide variety of flowers, bushes and trees in the garden and five rose bushes altogether. I would have more but we’ve run out of space! For me, it’s been a hit and miss system of gardening, some things grow well, others not. Preparation of the soil/compost is key! I hope you persevere – it is relaxing and rewarding in the end. As for names, I like to make up names for some plants and still don’t know their official names – a lot of fun but not much help when friends want to look for said item in the garden centre! 😀 Also, thank you for mentioning L. Marie’s post … it was beautiful and love how she moved from the accepted language of flowers to what they mean to her! Hoping all is well with you and you’re having a wonderful start to June. 😀❤️

18. Jan Sikes says:

Roses are such special flowers to me. Rick had a green thumb when it came to roses. He could cut off a stem, stick it in the ground and it would grow. And, he always gave me roses on special occasions. Thank you for sharing these incredibly beautiful photos, Annika! I could smell the sweet fragrance! Heavenly!

Jan, I’m deeply moved by your comment and touched by your description of your dear Rick, his gift with flowers. I understand how this post resonates particularly with you and your connection with roses through his gift of these to you. First and foremost they are the symbol of love. Oh, the fragrance is divine and I must look odd as I’m often out there sniffing the roses, finding ones hidden deep in the bush to cut and bring inside. big hugs, xx❤️

Thank you, Debra! 😀 Roses are the ultimate flowers of love and romance – a bouquet of red roses for your wedding must have been exquisite. A belated Happy Anniversary and hope you had a special celebration.

And there is me envying you and your stunning ocean views! 😀 Us human beings are odd folk! 😀 The roses are incredible this year, and have become quite a talking point with neighbours as we compare and appreciate each other’s. I’m glad you enjoyed the snippets of Rose facts – I look at them in a new light now! Hugs xx

Lovely to see you around, Annika. What stunning shots and interesting information from your research! I love roses but I didn’t much of the stuff you present here. You are industrious, aren’t you! 🙂 Wishing you a delightful summer, my friend. ❤

Khaya, being such a skilled photographer yourself I very much appreciate that you liked these photos. It’s tricky taking pictures of roses and capturing the whole bush well, hence the video! It’s good to be back albeit on a less regular basis for a little while … I see you’ve been busy on your blog and look forward to writing soon! Hope the start of summer has been kind to you, hugs xx ❤️

I knew people loved roses but you’ve put a fine point on it. Yikes! I always thought they were difficult to grow. May be but it doesn’t seem to discourage their popularity.

Here in England roses are hugely popular and I think because they are not too difficult to grow – the climate is mostly just right for them. This year they are amazing and I think the cooler damper weather has helped a lot. Do you have any in California in your garden, Jacqui?

21. Natalie Ducey says:

Such a lovely way to start the day! These are absolutely beautiful, Annika. Thanks so much for sharing. The history of these gems is fascinating.
    Sending much gratitude across the miles. Take care! XO

Bless you for your tender comment, Natalie and so happy you had a peaceful start to your morning! 😀 Every morning I open the curtains with anticipation of joy as I see the roses, both in the back garden and the front! I just had to learn something about them and delighted to share here! Have a great day and a wonderful weekend, my friend! xx

22. equipsblog says:

Love your pictures and rose facts. Roses grew very well around Sarajevo after the siege of Sarajevo in the 1990s. Apparently, roses really like what ammunition did to the soil. The Rose of Sarajevo from Wikipedia ‘A Sarajevo Rose is a type of memorial in Sarajevo made from concrete scar caused by a mortar shell’s explosion that was later filled with red resin. Mortar rounds landing on concrete during the Siege of Sarajevo created a unique fragmentation pattern that looks almost floral in an arrangement, and therefore have been named “rose”.[1][2]

There are around 200 “roses” in the entire city[3], and they are marked on locations where at least three persons have been killed during the siege of Sarajevo.[4]

In addition to the official marking of “roses” by the Ministry of Veterans’ Affairs of Canton Sarajevo, some of them are marked or recolored by citizens themselves.[5][6]

Thank you so much for sharing this fascinating fact about the ‘roses’ of Sarajevo. It was a siege I followed with intense disbelief and sadness as a student, totally incomprehensible this was happening in Europe. How odd that the mortar fragments look just like roses, though at least some beauty in the midst of war and a way to pay tribute to those killed. A new take on the topic of roses and one that will stay with me.

• equipsblog says:

Glad you liked it. I was in Sarajevo for one weekend, visiting a friend who was an Army Morale Welfare Recreation specialist volunteer. I fell in love with Sarajevo and the roses. This was in 1997. I was a volunteer at Taszar Air Base in Hungary.

23. Book Club Mom says:

How pretty, Annika. I didn’t know even a fraction of what you’ve posted about roses. The Juliet rose is lovely – I can see why it’s a wedding favorite. There’s something so dramatic about a bunch of roses all together, isn’t there?

Glad to see your post – we will be here when your life becomes less busy 🙂

Barbara, I agree, The Juliet rose is divine, wrapped in parchment thin casing of outer petals, the inner ones beautifully folded together. I don’t think I’d be throwing that boquet if I was the bride!😀 It’s been fun finding out some facts about roses and sharing here! Although busy I will definitely be popping in and out of blogging … thank you for understanding. 😀

24. Mary Smith says:

Lovely post, Annika, and your roses are gorgeous. Mine haven’t even started to open yet but as we’ve had rain for days and temperatures rarely about 12 degrees C I don’t blame them.

Mary, thank you so much! 😀 I do have other roses in the garden but my eyes always return to this one. The weather varies so much in the UK but when I was in Scotland, as in some parts of Sweden, it is almost a month behind southern England as regards flowering etc. Enjoy your roses when they appear – and may the rain stop soon!

What a beautiful post on roses Annika and quite fascinating. I had no idea of their history though I’m not surprised to hear of the amount of love songs written about them. A beautiful tribute to an exquisite flower. Keep smelling the roses my friend. Life is good. xx 🌹❤️

Ahh … I like the rose emoji, Miriam and thank you for your lovely comment. 😀 It’s amazing to learn so much about roses. I started with my encyclopaedia but found much more fun facts online! I couldn’t quite believe how many songs there were about roses and thought I’d misread 400 to 4000 … seems not! Have you and your friend written any or sung any about them? I’m out there every day enjoying their fragrance and picking some for indoors. How are your flowers surviving the autumn/winter? How is the weather for you at the moment? I saw terrible storms and even snow for some parts of Australia. Yikes!

• Miriam says:

Yes, 4000 songs about roses is quite a staggering number isn’t it Annika?From memory I don’t think I’ve sung about roses but give us time and who knows?
        Your garden sounds beautiful. Mine is largely all native these days and to be honest not many flowers have survived. We’ve been in a drought for so many years, then heat and now it’s just plain cold. I love my backyard but it’s largely comprised of gum trees and native bushes. We don’t get snow where I live but up in the alps it’s already ski season!

26. Helena Fairfax says:

Great photos and fascinating facts, Anniak! I’ve just moved house and am starting a new garden from scratch. I’d planned to plant some roses this autumn and your post has made me even more keen to get them established. Looking forward to next summer already!

Helena, how exciting to move house and have a garden to start from scratch! It can be daunting but it’s wonderful to see ones creation grow and develop over the years. Oh, roses are a must … only one problem … so many varieties to choose from! 😀 I’m glad my post has inspired you a bit more and wishing you lots of happiness and fun in your new home and garden.

27. Jill Weatherholt says:

Your roses are gorgeous, Annika. How wonderful to be greeted each day by such beautiful blooms. Yours is the second post I’ve read this morning about flowers. Thank you for brightening my day! I hope everything is okay with you and the family. xo

Reading about flowers is a great way to start the day, Jill! 😀 Your heart full of peace and beauty! I tried to sit out this morning to admire them but alas a bit too chilly … I’ll have to wait until lunchtime. Thank you, all is well with my family just very busy times. My son is in the midst of final school exams for university … non-stop revision in between – I’m the support team here! Lots more going on too but well and happy! Hope all is well with you … I often think of you and your mother,wondering how she is,how you’re coping. Take care, my friend! Hugs xx❤️🦋

28. boundlessblessingsblog says:

Oh! excellent roses in all their blooms and what an article, Annika. I never knew the history of roses and that too some of them costing into millions. Loved every single picture and who would not love roses they are beauty amongst flowers. Thanks so much for this awesome share.

Kamal, thank you so much for your wonderful comment, full of love and passion for roses! I too learned so much about them and it’s been a joy to share some of the snippets. I too was astonished how much it cost to cultivate the ‘Juliet’ rose but it is stunning. With my father-in-law, who bought us the ‘Queen of Sweden’ rose featured here, we visited David Austin Roses centre and it was a haven of beauty and fragrances! I then truly began to appreciate the work and art that goes into roses!

Best of luck with your first poetry collection, Kamal … it looks and sounds very special.

29. Darlene says:

Your roses are so lovely. Thanks for the great information too. I have actually seen the world’s largest rose bush in Tombstone, Arizona! Life has got crazy busy here too. Take care. xo

Oh wow!! 😀😀 Darlene, how amazing to have seen the rose bush in real life! What was it like? Was it in flower? I saw an interview in CBS about it and would love to stroll under that canopy. Tombstone must be an incredible place to visit. I hope you’re life slows down soon … I see quite a few are feeling the same at the moment. I’ve just learned to go with the flow and not fight it! Take care of yourself too and wishing you a restful weekend! 😀 xx

• Darlene says:

I love Tombstone, Arizona! It was a while ago since we visited. I don’t think it was in bloom but there were pictures of it in bloom. I recall it was massive. With all the history and shoot out reenactments etc., many people miss the rose bush. It is down a side street too. I realize I’m not alone in the busyness of life. The advice of not to fight it is good and I will keep that in mind. xo

Robbie, how wonderful that you make these in fondant and I’m awe how you create roses in such detail! The flowers never fail to awe and lift the spirits. Do they grow readily where you live or is it too hot/dry? Glad you enjoyed learning a bit more about them! 😀

30. navasolanature says:

Life isn’t always a bed of roses! Busy too myself as in UK too. At least you have all these glorious roses to greet you. I have left mine to a half installed irrigation system and all look as if struggling. No rain! And we have to be careful!

Georgina, there has been no shortage of rain and hence the spectacular display! I feel for your flowers struggling with the lack of water … hope the irrigation system is soon up and running! Interesting you should mention a bed for roses … Cleopatra is said to have had the floor covered with roses before the visit of Mark Anthony! Wishing you a lovely rest of the week and weekend! 😀

31. Shiva Malekopmath says:

You are blessed to have roses to greet you every morning.
    You have given a good detailed account of Rose flower in this Post.
    Yes Rose is a flower that is always taken as reference in expressing love.
    Regards
    Shiva
    🌷

Shiva, rose as a symbol of love should by rights have been first on this list! It is the ultimate flower of romance! After all, in Greek Mythology, Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love, is said to have created the rose from the tears she cried over the blood of her beloved, Adonis. Every week my husband buys me flowers, often roses … so I’m doubly lucky at the moment with some indoors and the bushes ladened with them outside in the garden! 😀 Warmest thanks for your lovely comment!