FLY WITH YOU

My spirit has been flying these past few weeks! Evenings and weekends I’ve had the joy of listening to my son as he composed FLY WITH YOU. As if by magic the melody appeared and the layers of instruments gradually added to the composition.

It’s been a privilege to follow the stages of the song till its completion, along the way I’ve been taught how to attune my hearing to the individual instruments and sounds, shown how the piece sounds with and without the different elements! Who knew that the slightest hint of an instrument helps to build the foundation of the whole?!

Although, I should not be surprised … isn’t it just so in life? As Vincent Van Gogh believed: “Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.”

So it’s with great pride that I present FLY WITH YOU.

“You were born with potential.
You were born with goodness and trust.
You were born with ideals and dreams.
You were born with greatness.
You were born with wings.
You are not meant for crawling, so don’t.
You have wings.
Learn to use them and fly.” – Rumi

May we at all times recognise and remember the truth of Rumi’s words!

Many thanks for reading and listening to this post – and wishing you a wonderful final day of March and a beautiful April ahead!

129 thoughts on “FLY WITH YOU

Annika, Sammy’s music just gets better and better with each piece he produces. So gifted.You must be very proud and I’m sure he will go far.
    I can’t stop listening to Fly With You and it’s already up there on my Google Play with all his other originals. Tell him well done from me.

Mike, so happy you enjoyed his latest piece of music and they never fail to touch me deeply, hold me in awe! Yeah – how great that you’ve got all his compositions on Google Play! I am sure there will be more to add in the future – it’s exciting and an honour to see his gift develop and take new directions! 😀

Hi Annika! I’m back from a trip (in which I flew to TX and back and wish I had Sammy’s song in my earbud!!). The song is hopeful and swings with the air and the birds. I love it. I placed a comment on YouTube and am sharing with friends. The Van Gogh quote is perfect. After all, think of the way we write our stories, also; layer upon layer. ❤

Pam, thank you so much for your sweet comment and Sammy is smiling away! I love your poetic description of the song and I too feel that hope and light in the song … and it would be perfect for a flight! So soothing! Van Gogh writings never fail to impress me … his letters to his brother are incredible and I’m glad you found this quote perfect! The arts are similar in so many ways!

I hope you had a brilliant break, Pam! I’ve just arrived in Sweden for the Easter holidays … the beauty around me always touches me to the core and we are blessed with warm sunshine – after three months of grey and gloom in England I feel as if I’ve landed in heaven!

Hugs and many thanks for all your support to me and Sammy! ❤️

• roughwighting says:

Ohhh, sweetness to you in Sweden. You deserve the light and sunshine coming your way. Many congrats to Sammy – may he continue to pursue and expand his love of music. xo

Jina, first a big thank you from Sammy and he’s so happy to read your comment! 😀 His music is positive and uplifting and I’m glad you had a chance to listen to ‘Awakening’ as well! Warmest thanks again and wishing you a lovely start to the week! 😀

Wow, Annika! Your son is super talented, and is such a delight to listen to his composition. Thank you for sharing another wonderful song by him.

And I love, love that quote by Rumi. It’s a powerful reminder. May we all remember this, indeed!

Have a wonderful and restorative break in Sweden. ❤

Khaya, thank you so much for your terrific comment and I’m so overjoyed you liked Sammy’s latest composition! 😀❤️

As he’s been working on these the past few weeks I’ve been reflecting on creativity in all the arts and how we strive to share these creations in whatever format they may take.

Rumi’s quote slotted perfectly with my thoughts and it is almost a challenge to us all … the words seem to be etched into my mind at the moment!

Thank you so much, we are having a wonderful start to our break here in Sweden. The daily warm sunshine is a blessing after months of cold grey in England.

Khaya, I would love to meet up in the summer … alas I’m on the west coast of Sweden so won’t be near Stockholm. 😕

4. Vashti Q says:

Hello, Annika! Your son composed a beautiful piece of music! It put a smile on my face and made me want to get up and dance. The Rumi quote is lovely and inspiring and goes perfectly with your son’s music. Bravo! 😀 xo

Yeah! 😀 Vashti, I love how this music has touched you and makes you want to dance! ❤️Your comment has us both smiling with joy! 😀 Being me I had to have some words on my post and I was happy to come across this quote by Rumi … I too felt they matched the positive spirit of the song and may we all remember to heed his thoughts! There is no room for doubt, for crawling! Hugs, my friend! Xx

Thank you so much, Gill … Sammy has worked hard on his music over the years and it’s amazing to see the directions it is taking! Oh yes, an a writer I just had to add some words to the post and I’m glad you felt Rumi’s quite fitted well. Wishing you a lovely day too … it’s sunny here and that makes all the difference! Thank you so much for your great comment! 😀 xx btw I’ve left a comment on your last post but it seemed to disappear into the ether! Let me know if it doesn’t appear.

5. Forestwood says:

What an interesting piece of music, and I can hear that there is lots of musicality in that piece, even though I am not especially musical. I actually found it quite soothing. No wonder you are proud. Well done.

Amanda, soothing is definitely an emotion that this piece evokes … and I agree there is lots of musicality in the song. It is original and unique compared to much out there, but still draws elements from many various genres. Oh yes, I’m definitely proud, and very happy for him and blessed to hear so much music on a daily basis (he plays the piano). Wishing you a great rest of the week and weekend! 😀

6. Sammy says:

Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog and I’m really overwhelmed by all the positive responses to my song! I’m really glad you all enjoyed it!

Sammy

Sammy, it’s a real honour to be able to share your beautiful composition … and I’m not surprised you’re overwhelmed with all the amazing comments. Highly deserved and may you fly to incredible heights with your special music. Every day it’s a blessing to listen to your work. Stor kram ❤️

What a wonderful talent Sammy has! Beautiful music, and beautiful words from Rumi! You must be a proud mother! What a treasure to be able to listen to him put everything together. I love picking out the different instruments in music; it was something my mother had us do during long car rides. Enjoy the rest of your week, Annika!

Julie, you must have had some wonderful car journeys and how wise of your mother to teach you music appreciation and understanding as young! It’s only recently I feel I’m listening constructively and with real comprehension!

Thank you so much for your warm and kind comment – I’m so glad you enjoyed both the piece and the poem – words we probably all need to read and remember! Oh yes, I am an extremely proud mother – and a very happy and blessed one as well! 😀

Wishing you a great rest to the week and weekend, Julie! Good luck with all your writerly projects! I’m off early tomorrow morning to Sweden for a fortnight – hooray! Nature and tranquility beckons (whilst my son gets some serious studying done before the end of school exams in May!) xx

8. Sue Dreamwalker says:

Beautiful words Annika and Fabulous music.. We each are single notes within this great orchestra of life.. Each may think they are insignificant, but when united in harmonic frequency what a beautiful creation we can make..
    May we all learn to all Harmonise as well as this beautiful piece Sammy has created Annika.. Just lovely..
    Let is all sprout Wings! and FLY!!!

Sue, your beautiful comment has me smiling, my spirit soaring as I read your words. With poetic finesse, you capture the sentiment of the piece … and ultimately of life itself. ‘We each are single notes within this great orchestra of life.’

The problems can be for us to find the harmony within ourselves and as you say, all harmonise together. Now, wouldn’t that be a spectacular world!😀❤️

Libby, it’s amazing when music can touch one so deeply … I felt the same even when he was composing each section! Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! 😀 Wishing you a lovely Thursday! 🌺

Exactly … it’s good to be reminded how the small things make up the whole … thoughts applicable to all aspects of our lives. So glad you enjoyed the music! 😀

What a lovely musical arrangement. Very well done. I enjoyed listening. Thank you for sharing, Annika. And, thank you Sammy. 🙂
    P.S. So true, that those words from Rumi fit perfectly.

Lori, thank you so much for your lovely comment and glad you enjoyed the music and poem! 😀 Both are inspiring I feel! Having never considered musical arrangement particularly earlier in my life I am now having a steep learning curve … and loving every moment!

I love it! It must have been fun for you to watch how it all came together. Sammy has a real feel for emotion and beat. There’s something special about the way the emotion builds and then comes back down to earth. Congratulations to him. And happy Mother’s Day to you.

Nicki, thank you so much for your insightful comment, with such depth of understanding of the song. It’s been a joy to hear him create this piece! Thank you – I had a wonderful Mother’s Day!

Bette, knowing me, I just had to add some words to this post and Rumi’s fitted perfectly! 😀 So glad you find both inspiring … we are blessed with the ability to enjoy all the arts, their wonder! Hope you all is well with you and wishing you a beautiful start to April! ❤️

11. Natalie Ducey says:

Such a beautiful gift to share, Annika. Amazing! My dad is musically gifted and it was such a joy to have that experience growing up. He has recorded three CD’s so I carry his gift with me. Blessings indeed.
    Happy Mother’s Day from Canada! Thanks so much for sharing. 🙂

Ahh… how special to grow up with a musical father and it must be wonderful to have his CDs with you all the time! Blessings indeed … precious memories of young and moments now. So glad you enjoyed this piece and I’m incredibly proud to share here! My son has been rather overwhelmed with all the amazing comments … such a boost! Thank you so much, Natalie! hugs xx😀🌸

It must have taken hours of practise and patience to get to this level, Annika, and I can feel how much pleasure he’s given you. What a lovely Mother’s Day gift! 🙂 🙂

Jo, you are right about the hours of practise! 😀 Whilst still at primary school I would sit next to him as he practised 15-20 minutes every day – he had a natural aptitude for music though and quickly I was more of moral support than practical help! He’s self-taught on the production software … again I’ve helped by bringing refreshments and making encouraging noises! Oh, this is the best gift for mother’s day and every day. Your lunch out yesterday sounded fabulous! 😀 Have a lovely start to the month, my friend! xx

• restlessjo says:

Thanks, darlin! 🙂 🙂 I have a happy husband today. He’s got himself a Portuguese car. Sadly, the manual is too so he’s having trouble resetting the clock 🙂

13. dgkaye says:

What an honor to be part of the birthing of your son’s music Annika. I love instrumental music and so enjoyed listening to this piece, creating more dimension as the song progressed. Not hard to see where your son gets his creativity from. 🙂 xx

Debby, bless you for your kind comment … I’m creative but definitely more in the words department, though there are many in my family who are very musically gifted! Your description of being part of the birthing of the piece of music is exactly what I’d written on my draft post – it is just so but I feared I would have gone too far. I’m so glad you understand and enjoyed the piece so much.hugs xx ❤️

14. Clanmother says:

How serendipitous – March 30, 2019 was van Gogh’s 166th birthday – he would have been pleased to hear this music. I just subscribed to your son’s Youtube station. You must be extremely proud of him. Well done…

Rebecca, the more I read Van Gogh’s words, the more I think he was a closet philosopher! Incredible to think he was born 166 years ago! Sammy is so happy you’ve subscribed to his channel and enjoy the music – he’s currently releasing something every week with a new cover out on Friday! Oh yes, I am very proud and extremely happy for him. Hope the sun is shining for you in Canada and you are enjoying this first day of April! xx

• Clanmother says:

The sun is shining and the morning chorus is full bloom, along with the cherry blossoms. I am so excited for your son – he has a gift and I know that he will accomplish great things because he loves his calling.

15. balroop2013 says:

Congratulations Annika; it is a moment of pride for parents when their children grow into such fine, creative individuals. I am sure you would have many more soaring moments of “Fly with you.” Best wishes and blessings to Sammy.

Exactly, Balroop – at times I am in awe, always overjoyed, to see what a beautiful, kind and gifted young man he has become … I’m ridiculously proud of him and for the achievements he’s made, big and small! Luckily I can have such soaring moments every day as he plays the piano, composes … the music drifting around the house! with love & hugs xx

16. rijanjks says:

Wow, Annika! This is SO beautiful! How incredible to get to watch the process of creating a music masterpiece like this unfold. Congrats to you and to your talented son!

Jan, I’m beaming away at your terrific and spontaneous comment … I can sense your enjoyment of the piece. Thank you so much! It is a huge privilege to be part of the creative process – even if only as a bystander; aware that very soon (September) he will be at university and this daily dose of magic will be gone (for me). big sigh … but overjoyed and so happy for him.

17. Sharon Bonin-Pratt says:

Congratulations to your talented son, Sammy, for his gorgeous composition, Fly With You. I don’t know whether or not you’re musical, Annika, but you obviously raised your son to seek his creative impulses and make them come true. It’s true that each component of a piece contributes to the whole. Our older grandchildren are in beginning orchestras and learning that even if they don’t have a solo moment, their absence would be missed. I can tell that Sammy makes you very proud. I bet he’s very proud to be your son.

Shari, first to your last insightful sentence – I think that is so true and he shows it in all he does and says. It’s touching that you should realise this. Alas, I’m not very musical but many in my family are; the main influence has been my mother who was a professional classical guitarist. She bought Sammy a keyboard when he was very little and encouraged and paid for all his music lessons. The two of them are twinned souls discussing music! A few years ago we could finally afford to buy him the piano Sammy had dreamed of so much.

You must be very proud of your grandchildren and their musical accomplishments and playing in an orchestra, it is very much about each and every instrument contributing to the whole. Do you have a chance to listen to their performances often? Their practice? What do they play?

I always knew from when my son was very little that he needed a creative activity … and now I couldn’t imagine him doing anything else – nor could he!

Warmest thanks for your lovely and thoughtful comment, Shari! xx

18. EvelynKrieger says:

Isn’t it wonderful sharing creativity with your child? I admire songwriters–never tried it myself, though I am a music lover. The title reminded me of the old standard I associate with Frank Sinatra–“Come Fly With Me”.

Evelyn, I’m writing this listening ‘Come Fly with Me’ – a song I barely know but it is so good! Thank you for mentioning it. I thought the title rang a bell but didn’t know why. How true that it is amazing to share creativity with a child – we talk about music all the time and happily my son has kept me informed about modern groups/songs! 😀 Having seen the work that goes into his songs I’m in even more awe of songwriters – and seeing the efforts I’m glad I’m a writer! Writing is so much easier! 😀

19. Book Club Mom says:

Hi Annika – thanks so much for sharing your son’s music. Modern composition is so interesting and I also like listening to the different instruments and understanding their contribution to the whole. I can imagine this as the score of a modern story. Is that the kind of thing your son wants to study? Congratulations to him!

Barbara, thank you so much for your wonderful comment and thoughts! 😀 I’m so glad you like modern composition. It is different but still has classic elements and I’m smiling at how you too enjoy listening to the single elements within the whole, how each plays an important part in the song. I love how you can see this as a score of a modern story … a terrific idea! Perhaps I can write the story! 😀 Music is Sammy’s passion – he is naturally gifted and would love to work with this his whole life and I imagine he very well might. However, he also enjoys computer science and he will be studying that at university in September. Life is exciting and unknown!

Andrea, thank you so much for your wonderful comment! 😀 Enjoy flying to the song … at the moment it’s with me in my dreams and as I wake up! I’ve loved learning the process of the song’s creation- a huge honour. I consider myself lucky and I’m taking away ideas for my writing as well!

Oh yes, I’m such a proud Mamma … I try to rein it in! 😀 Indeed he has a gift, but one he’s worked very hard to achieve this standard – and appreciates there is yet so much to learn! That’s the best way to feel about life in general! Hope you’re having a lovely Sunday, Brigid! 🌺🌸

Thank you so much, Jennifer and I’m happy you enjoyed the song! He’s definitely talented and self-taught on the music production – incredibly complex and his fingers dance across the screen!

Ahh…thank you – I’m having a wonderful Mother’s Day. Spoilt with breakfast, card and present then a blissful gardening afternoon in the warm sunshine! Overflowing with happiness!

I’m sure we talked about your Mother’s Day being in May but I always wonder if Canada is a bit different. It’s May for most of Europe too (don’t know why the UK is different!)

Wishing you a lovely Sunday, Jennifer! hugs xx😀🌸

Jena, it’s been a delight to share the song here … and Sammy and I are both loving the comments – yours included. It’s great how I’m learning from my son and I listen to music is a totally different, more critical but also more appreciative way. So glad you liked the song and I’m having a lovely Mother’s Day! 😀

Wow, what a beautiful piece of music, Annika. Your son is so talented but also honing his skill. My ex-husband was a musician, so I know exactly what you mean about the layering of the composition. Well done! Thanks for sharing. 😀

Diana, I hadn’t really thought about the layers of music before but once you learn to tune your ear to it one’s appreciation of it is so much more. Something you understand very well! You’re right about honing his skill … the other day we listened to some of his earlier pieces and he showed how he would now improve on them. Life is wonderful as one never stops learning, creating! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your lovley comment about Sammy’s song, Diana! Happy Sunday, my friend! xx

Exactly, Robbie!! 😀 Every time we are discussing the composition I can’t help but refer to writing, the editing, searching for just the right words, phrases. Trying to building the tension, have moments of quiet reflection. Serioulsy I hadn’t realised how similar an art these are in many ways! 😀 The sense of fulfillment on completion is amazing and so rewarding.

😀 😀 My spirit is definitely flying, Mary … and so often is when listening to Sammy’s music. He can’t imagine not playing the piano, composing! Many thanks from this very proud Mamma! xx

Neil, that’s an interesting idea … not one he or I have thought of but I’m sure Sammy’s open to suggestions! 😀So glad you liked the music and wishing you a great Sunday!

Jill, I’m so happy you enjoyed Fly With You so much – it is very special! 😀 I’m having a very special Mother’s Day – all of us together for a long breakfast and a beautiful card and thoughtful gift (I’ve often told him his music is a gift for me everyday, just as you said!) Later dining all out with my mother as well – can’t wait!

I don’t think it’s Mother’s Day for you, is it? I know in many countries it is in May. Wishing you a lovely Sunday, my friend! ❤️

21. Mabel Kwong says:

What a great effort by your son, Sammy. It sounds like a very uplifting piece of music that has a hint of electronic, pop and orchestral genres. Many tries until it feels right. It takes time to put something like this together, and your son’s hard work paid off 🙂

Mabel, you nailed it! 😀Sammy just read your comment and he smiled away and said that’s exactly the mix he was aiming for! He’s so happy you noticed this throughout the piece. Oh, how true about many tries … some evenings he would be working on just one bar for hours, getting the balance, the instruments/sounds etc right. There are endless possibilities and adjustments with the production programme! Thank you so much for listening and for your wonderful and insightful comment.

• Mabel Kwong says:

The electronic part of the mix reminded me of dancing electronic violinist Lindsey Stirling’s music 😀 I am sure Sammy will compose many more mixes and songs to come, and maybe an album some day 🙂

Mabel, wow! I’ve just watched a couple of videos of Lindsey Stirling’s music and love her music. She is amazing and the blend of violin with electronic music is beautiful, incredibly powerful! I’ll show Sammy tonight … I know he’ll be impressed. We’ve been to a couple of concerts where the violin is mixed with other music genres and it is a brilliant sound.

How right you are about his dream to make an album one day! 😀 Knowing him, he will do this … at the moment the music comes after all the course work and revision for the end school exams in May/June! Then university! 😀

• Mabel Kwong says:

Lindsey Stirling is amazing. I’ve been to see her three times when she toured Australia, and met her three times too. Maybe Sammy will like her music as well 🙂 Hope you and Sammy get to go to more contemporary violin concerts. They sound so fun 😀

What an absolutely enchanting and beautiful piece of music Annika. No wonder you’re so proud of him. He has such talent. Thanks for sharing this and I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. xx ❤️🎵

Bless you, Miriam for your lovely comment!😀 I am inordinately proud of him and his talent. He works hard at his music but for him it’s never work! Just pure joy and he is carried away with the piano and composition.

Thank you, I’m having a magical Sunday – Mother’s Day here and already spoilt with breakfast and presents. We raided the garden centre yesterday so a few glorious hours of gardening ahead. Is it Mother’s Day in Australia? Wishing you a very special Sunday! hugs xx ❤️

• Miriam says:

Isn’t it wonderful to see when a craft becomes a passion. Pure joy, just love it. Glad you’ve had a lovely day. It’s not Mother’s Day here in Australia but I’ve still enjoyed a day alone at home with my son. xx

Annika, thank you for this wonderful post. The wonderful quotes by Rumi and Van Gogh
    are perfect in introducing Sammy Perry and his new song “Fly with you “.

I am quite transported by this song, its persistent and ethereal melody and the introduction of
    instruments and sounds to reach fullness and crescendo.
    At times it sounds as he has captured the sound of the vibrations of the spheres which
    physicists and mathematicians consider part of music.

Wow! Miriam, I’m staggered with this musical review of Sammy’s song! 😀 He’s read your comment and was flying high on your words – and as an A-level student of maths and physics, he took the last words to heart! There is definitely a link and it can be reassuring for him to know this. I’m so happy you enjoyed this ‘ethereal melody’ as it drifts into the spheres.

Being me, I had to add some words to the post and Rumi’s quote matched the song title’s and feelings perfectly I felt. Van Gogh was a humble man, and I’m not sure he was ever aware of how deeply philosophical he was!

Happy Writing, Listening, Reading, Creating! xx ❤️

24. hilarymb says:

Hi Annika – what an amazing young man … how delightful to have him as part of your life – congratulations to you all. I enjoyed listening to this one, but I’m now listening to his wonderful voice over on the linked above … so good to know he’s out there helping others through his words and music – talented. Congratulations – and Happy Mother’s Day -cheers HIlary

Hilary, thank you so much for your wonderful and thoughtful comment! He is incredibly talented and I feel so lucky to listen to productions like this as they are created and his piano playing on a daily basis! The voice is actually not his but a sample he found online, it is mesmerising and haunting. When he found it and started to incorporate it, he laughed a bit and said, well, I know now what the song is called! 😀 Having a lovely calm start to Mother’s Day, listening to the sounds of breakfast being made by Hubby and son downstairs! 🌺 Wishing you a beautiful Sunday! 😀

• hilarymb says:

How lovely … breakfast with or without that voice will be amazing … my Mama died 7 years ago in early July … so I just remember … as we do over the years. Enjoy Mother’s Day – happy times – cheers Hilary

Hilary, it must be hard everyday to live without your mother, but on special occasions it’s even more heightened. I feel for you.

I realise every day how blessed I am in so many ways … through other hardships learnt to enjoy the days, taking nothing for granted.

Oh, every day I’m blessed with piano music … heavenly! hugs xx

A delight to share here, Darlene and thank you for your kind words! I honestly don’t know how he does it … we all have individual special gifts! Happy Mother’s Day to you too! 🌺