Introducing Oskar!

It’s a scenario many of us have experienced in our lives.

A young child in bed, restless and not at all keen on this falling asleep lark! Being awake is so much more exciting!

Over a couple of years, when my son had difficulty letting go of his awake self, I started to make up stories to help him drift asleep.

One of these was Oskar’s Quest, which was created and developed over many weeks. It became a firm favourite at home.

As my boy grew up, oh, so quickly, the regular bedtime story of Oskar’s Quest was no longer requested nor required. Before I forgot any part of his adventures my mother advised me to write it all down. Who knew when it would be needed in the future; where it could lead?

Mothers are always right! Last year I revisited my children’s story and I was smitten once again. Anew I found myself captivated by Oskar and his Quest. Maybe others would feel the same, I wondered. I even dared to hope!

Yet, with many years of writing experience, I realised the story needed work. I set at redrafting and editing this lengthy tale to one more suitable for publication. Finally, with the aid of a talented illustrator, the book was ready!

I’m so thrilled and elated to present Oskar to you all and for you to have an opportunity to take part in his adventures. I will be posting much more about Oskar’s Quest, its cover, blurb and release date in the near future!

May Oskar soon make many new friends with children and adults alike, all keen to follow him on his exciting quest and in the process find a bit more of themselves.

111 thoughts on “Introducing Oskar!

Thank you so much, Pam … I always love learning about the backstory to books and hoped others would feel the same! Glad this seems to be the case!😀 I’m so looking forward to sharing more … as you know so exciting to release a children’s book!

1. Prior... says:

This sounds so fun and like a good idea to develop it – and seriously thanks to mom that you wrote it down
    My stepdaughter and I had stories – and our really special thing was a bedtime song – and maybe we can get that song developed one day–
    Anyhow – congrats on the latest project

Yvette, how wonderful that your daughter and you shared a special bedtime song and it would be amazing if you could develop this! Maybe some of your stories too! 😀😀

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, it has been an absolute joy to prepare Oskar’s Quest for publication and yes, I’m so grateful to my mother for insisting I wrote down the original story!

Julie, a good question and yes, my son remembers this one and another very well … I showed him both of these written down a couple of years ago and he went all quiet and emotional … reminiscing about his early childhood! 😀 Oh yes, as always fantastic advice from my mother to save Oskar’s Quest. At the time I thought I’d remember every word but realise this would not have been the case! I am so excited with my latest book and can’t wait to share more! 😀

How absolutely wonderful Annika. What a treasure to keep and be reminded of those very special times forever. Those childhood stories are so special, especially when we’ve created them ourselves. Congratulations my friend xx

3. booksandbakes1 says:

This is incredible! I’m so excited for you! I still have your first book so the fact that I’ll soon be able to add your second to my collection is VERY exciting indeed! Hope you’re well!! Xx

Jennie … thank you for your lovely welcome to dear Oskar! 😀 Backstory is so important and always fascinating – I’m glad you enjoyed this as part of the introduction to my book. Much more soon. BTW, whilst working on rewriting & editing the story and during long discussions with the illustrator I tried to imagine you, in your classroom with eager young readers and what would appeal to them! 😀 Hope I got the mix just right! 😀

Thank you, Jennifer! 😀 It’s exciting to be Publishing again and particularly in this very different genre of a children’s book! I thought I’d try for a hat trick with my novel next!

Ahh … I’m so happy you’ve enjoyed this little introduction to Oskar … he is adorable, isn’t he?! I’m so lucky to be working with such a great illustrator who captured his spirit perfectly! The artwork throughout the book is stunning and compliments the story wonderfully! I can’t wait to show more! 😀. Happy Weekend, may it be one filled with joy and peace! ❤️

Oh my goodness Annika, such wonderful news! Congrats my friend. Love the illustration, and I can’t wait for the cover reveal and the blurb. What a lovely time to release a book; holidays are just few weeks away and gift buying is already underway…All the best with the release. ❤

Khaya, it’s a joy to read you wonderful and enthusiastic comment … thank you so much! 😀 I love how you like the illustration and are eager to see and read more! I can’t wait to share all about Oskar’s Quest!

Haha! Yes, I’ve wanted to have the book out for sale before Christmas and I hope many are tempted to buy as a gift! It is a very special book and one I’m sure readers and young ones will love alike!

Happy Weekend, my dear friend! ❤️

How wonderful! Very exciting. So glad you took your mom’s advice. Congratulations and best wishes.
    P.S. I like the title and lovely illustration.

Lori, thank you for your lovely bubbly comment. It is a joy to share this exciting news. Oh, I’m so glad I took her advice as well … although I’m sure she had to remind me a few times. 😀 I’m so happy you like the title and illustrations – lots more to share soon!

Ahh … Dorothea, thank you for your wonderful comment!😀 For me it was a joy to entertain my son with my stories … an appreciative audience from an early age! Oskar is the cutest, I feel, even if I’m a bit biased! 😀

Laura, I’m so happy Oskar has already touched your heart … when you see more he will start pulling those heartstrings to be read! 😀 Your last sentence is so sweet and thoughtful, they are indeed so happy and proud for me; my mother has always been my staunchiest supporter, encouraging my writing from an early age! Thank you so much, my friend!

Bette, I’m always intrigued by the story behind the book so thought I’d start off with an enticing introduction to Oskar. 😀 I’m glad you peaked and can’t wait to share your review. Warmest thanks!❤️

Thank you, Kathy. It’s been an exciting year leading up to the release and can’t quite believe I’m soon there! My illustrator ‘got’ Oskar beautifully in this her first illustrations for a children’s book.

6. dgkaye says:

Oh Annika, what a beautiful story. And the illustration is beautiful. Congratulations on this wonderful idea to repurpose a classic children’s story from long ago, which proves to be timeless for all children. ❤

7. Jill Weatherholt says:

Our mother’s are always right, aren’t they? This is such exciting news, Annika! Oskar is adorable and what a wonderful gift for your son. Maybe one day he’ll read it to his children. Congratulations!

Jill, I hadn’t thought about that until today – imagine my son reading these to his children, or even better, me reading it to them! No pressure on the lad, he’s just started uni! 😀 I honestly feel this is a special story that will captivate so many children and adult readers. Thank you so much for your lovely comment and I’m so glad you find Oskar adorable! The instant the illustrator sent me this version he flew straight into my heart – Oskar of my imagination in on paper/screen. Truly amazing experience!

8. Mary Smith says:

Wonderful, Annika. Look forward to hearing more about Oskar’s Quest. Will it be out for Christmas? I always read to my son at bedtime but sometimes he would insist I told him a story from your mouth”. Wish I’d written them down!

Mary, thank you … I will be posting much more about the book! Yes, it will be out before Christmas – making it a perfect gift for all little ones! 😀 It should be available for preorder soon! Bless your son and his sweet description of your own stories – a delightful way to describe them. I bet they were all wonderful … it is frightening how quickly one forgets them since at the time they seem instilled in the memory for a lifetime! Can you remember any? Maybe if you start sketching them out, more will come back?

9. Darlene says:

How wonderful! To think that others will get to enjoy this story as well. I can see other moms, grandparents etc. reading it to children before bed. Congratulations!

Rebecca, I am so grateful to my mother for insisting I wrote it down. At the time I thought I would recall every word forever, not appreciating how easily certain details would be forgotten in the busyness of life!

Thank you so much, Natalie … I’m cheering back with a hot cup of tea! 😀 Dear Oskar is so precious … ever since I first thought of him, as I’ve been revising the text and then from the beautiful drawings by my illustrator! A delight to welcome him to a wider audience. So much more to follow soon! Wishing you a wonderful day, my friend! xx

How wonderful, Annika. Didn’t Harry Potter start out as a bedtime narration? (I think I heard that somewhere). I wish you the same luck with this tale and for giving me a peek into what you’ve been working on. I’m looking forward to learning more. Congratulations!

Diana, it wouldn’t surprise me at all about Harry Potter starting out as a bedtime story. Her daughter was very young at the time she wrote it. So many famous children’s stories started out just this way … it’s a time when you are free within, letting the creative spirit have total freedom! I’m just glad I wrote it down at the time!

I can’t wait to reveal more about the book and it’s been so exciting (& nerve-racking) to share news about Oskar today! 😀

11. Erica/Erika says:

Hi Annika, I think it is extra special to make up stories for your children when they are growing up. I find thirty years later the children surprise me with a quote from parts of these stories. They are a special bond and memories you have together.

Your Mom was totally right. Mom’s are always right!

Congratulations on “Oscar’s Quest!” All of your effort and imbued with all of your love. 🙂 The illustration is beautiful! I look forward to reading more.🙂

Erica, where would we be without our mother’s eh?! 😀😀

You are so right about the bond of those early childhood books & stories – I still recall my favourites from when I was young in Sweden. My son had so many books he loved (as did I) … but just before nodding off time only my stories would do!

Thank you so muc for your lovely words about the book and illustrations … so much more yet to read & see! I’m over the moon you are looking forward to reading it. hugs xx