Smorgasbord Posts from Your Archives – Gothic Enlightenment by Annika Perry

Once again it’s a pleasure to take part in Sally Cronin’s ‘Posts from Your Archives’ and in this second of four instalments I revisit the mystical Whitby Abbey and join some monks on the Path to Paradise.

Smorgasbord - Variety is the spice of life

Welcome to the second post from the archives of Annika Perry who shares an atmospheric visit to Whitby Abbey in North Yorkshire.

The purpose of this series is to encourage you to head over and follow Annika’s blog and check out her more recent posts.. I hope you will do so.

Gothic Enlightenment by Annika Perry

Self-consciously I traced my way around the grassy labyrinth. Glancing up I caught the eye of a fellow pilgrim and sheepishly we exchanged wry smiles as I wondered, “Does he think I look ridiculous? Do I?”. The answer was an emphatic no, as I took a deep breath and continued on my way.

Arriving earlier at Whitby Abbey the cement bunker where we bought our tickets had been gloomy and disappointing, however on walking around the corner and up we were transported in time as chanting Benedict monks beckoned us forward across the sunny…

View original post 561 more words

37 thoughts on “Smorgasbord Posts from Your Archives – Gothic Enlightenment by Annika Perry

1. Miss Gentileschi says:

Just read your beautiful story, Annika! Love the sense of enlightenment and enrichment I felt during and after the reading. Visiting abbeys is something I really love doing, the atmosphere and architecture is always so wonderful. 😄 xoxo

Thank you so much for reading and for your touching thoughtful comment, Sarah. ❤️ It was the strangest day and I could not believe how my mindset went from busy family outing to one of such calm serenity and fulfillment – an emotion that stayed with me for the week-long holiday! Most abbeys have a wonderful sense of atmosphere and are special places to visit…we have been to many over the years here in the UK.

• Miss Gentileschi says:

A couple of years ago I visited the one in Trier which I loved both the Abbey and the town. I will never forget how the light fell through the arches of the inner yard – just beautiful. Hope to visit one day the ones in the UK and Italy – I have a feeling I will love them 😄

Andrea, I can imagine you’d love Whitby…it has a very unique atmosphere and aura about it…the location alone is stunning. Oh yes, I couldn’t believe the serenity the monks bought to the place even in a busy day…the labyrinth was mesmerising. Many thanks for your lovely comment. ❤️😀

Thank you so much, Jacqui…this is one of my favourite abbeys and I wanted to capture its spirit! There are quite a few abbeys near to this one, Fountain’s Abbey is huge and a wonderful location in the Yorkshire Dales valley and Bolton Abbey was close to where I grew up so another popular one with the family and my own as well when we go up North! Hopefully you can come and visit them one day! 😀❤️

Not the place to be in a rainstorm…I can testify to that!! 😀😀 Got caught out one day but luckily quite warm in Spring and we jjust gave up and came back to the house soaked! An amazing place and fantastic view. Hope you have better weather tomorrow…must be a bit of a shock after Portugal. Xx

The UK is a great place for history and these abandoned abbeys have a wonderful mystical aura…we were so lucky to visit during this occasion and have the opportunity to experience that inner peace, calm and contemplation. A joy to share! 😀❤️

Thank you so much, Debby…two more to come! It was hard to choose although I realised many of my posts featured many photos / pictures which didn’t work and helped make some of my decisions.😀❤️

Thank you, Iris…it’s not often your walk away from an half term outing enlightened and enriched – luckily this was one such time! 😀 The remaining architecture is astonishing, the position above the town and looking out to sea is glorious and commanding. So glad you enjoyed the post.

2. Sue Dreamwalker says:

Loved this Post Annika and I also love to visit Whitby Abbey, And have been there so many times.. It was one of our holiday destinations on a regular basis..
    In fact the picture I used for a post a week back in Echos Within, poem I used a view taken from The abbey..
    Thank you for bringing back the nostalgia.. 🙂 Hugs Sue

Sue, this whole trip was a bit of nostalgia for me too as we often visited Whitby when I was a child and I wanted to share my love for the place with my husband and son – it’s now one of our favourite holiday places in the UK! 😀 So glad this brings some of your holiday memories back…it is wonderfully atmospheric. I saw your Echoes Within poem post and love the Abbey arch…beautiful photo. Hugs, my friend. Xx