CREATIVE ENERGY

20170901_125523 (2)

Whimsy met fantasy, nature recreated by man stood next to the absurd, the beautiful rested close to the ethereal celebration of family. A journey of discovery ensued as I visited the Gardens and Arboretum of Marks Hall which hosted over 300 sculptures from across the UK. For once such a magnificent exhibition was near to me and with a childish delight of the unknown, I set off to explore…and found the most wonderfully surprising, original, colourful and creative work imaginable. It felt an honour to feast my eyes upon these sculptures and I left a few hours later in awe of the artists and inspired by the collective creative energy.

20170901_133315

The plaque accompanying this magnificent statue was written by the designer, Stephen Charlton and is a testament to his desire to share joy and happiness with the viewer through his work.

‘THE OFFERING
NO WORD SAID,
BUT WITH A SIMPLE,
GESTURE INSTEAD.
AN OFFER OF MY HEART,
LET’S BE ONE TOGETHER
– NEVER APART.’

20170901_124915.jpg

The magnificent and awe-inspiring ‘Freedom’ stands in the prime position looking across the lakes, a glorious celebration of being, ready to take flight. It’s majestic in execution and simply breath-taking in scope.

20170901_134025

This wonderful ‘Guardian Angel’ is made entirely from cedar wood and the photograph is deceptive of its size with the statue being thigh high. Its huge wings reach out as if to scoop you up into safety. Its creator, Ed Elliot declared that ‘sculpture is a language for me and I aim to create a memorable presence with my work. Finding the right environments for sculpture is crucial in finishing many pieces and making them sing’.

Animals featured too amongst the sculptures including a variety of birds, fighting hares as well as two beautiful willow horses, the light flickering across the material rendering it almost life-like. It was hard not to just reach out and touch the friendly creatures. Their creator Jane Foddy says that ‘willow is a natural product that bends in elegant curves. Willow sculptures cast intriguing shadows as the sun moves across the sky, which brings them to life and suggests movement.’

20170901_131057

20170901_131028.jpg

Rounding the corner from the dark shade of a wood I entered the light of late summer afternoon and ahead in a beautiful golden circle, yellow flowers fluttered serenely in the light breeze. At the centre I spied a gleaming white statue of four figures and approaching it I realised I must meander through the maze cut through the flowers…how original and imaginative. Closer I spied the family unit of four enveloped in hugs, standing tall and stoic, looking bravely into the future.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

There was a variety of modern art sculptures dotted around the two and a half acre site; nature inspired many such as the glass and metal flowers, the metallic leaves of one is mirrored by the metal scooped windmill branches of another rotating creation which thrilled with its quiet ease of motion.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Other sculptures took on a more abstract form, mimicking the tall trees around as well as one displaying an everyday bird bath which is ingeniously unique and quaint.

20170901_133932

I paused in front of the giant portal made from rusty steel; visions of numerous viewings of ‘Stargate’ come to mind. Did I dare pass through into the next dimension? Tickled with excitement I stepped beneath the circular arch – of course, I was still here, nothing had changed but for a moment the possibility thrilled me and then it occurred to me, that by visiting I had changed, new thoughts were born, energy was refreshed.

20170901_133011

This ginormous stained glass mosaic ball was stunning in its breadth of creation, ideas and colours which came vibrantly to life and was a most unusual form of stained glass artwork I’ve come across.

20170901_123502

Quirky, fantastically absurd and eye-catching summed up this astonishing creation of the fork and the conker. It stopped everyone in their tracks as the rule book of the norm, the expected was thrown out and a new reality recreated for us.

20170901_131822

Two personal favourites of my visit were of a smaller size. The wave totem was made of ceramic stoneware with in-glaze images of photographs from olden days. It was a terrifically atmospheric work, reminiscent of another era whilst using the art from across the Atlantic.

20170901_132817

The Rustic Oak Tree was galvanised steel formed into a perfect oak tree and placed on the autumn colours of a display board. Here the artist, Chris Townsend wanted to ‘challenge sculptural space’. He added that ‘in public places, beautiful objects can intrigue, calm and inspire. Some simply bring on a smile…”

All the sculptures at Marks Hall certainly achieved that, smiles all round, conversation flowing as discussions ensued, spirits revived on a beautiful late summer sunny day.

20170901_131715

I hope you enjoyed your ‘tour’ of the exhibitions and thank you for reading and viewing. Do you have any favourites of the sculptures I posted? Have you had the opportunity to visit any sculptures shows during the summer (or for some winter). I look forward to reading your thoughts and comments.

118 thoughts on “CREATIVE ENERGY

Thanks for a very uplifting blog Annika. I was fascinated by all the exhibits on show – and what a wonderful location too. I just love the rabbit with the bouquet of flowers (were these real?) and the fork stuck in the conker. Such fun things and such brilliant ideas so well executed

Did you decide to buy one? My choice would have been the Guardian Angel. I just love the colour of the polished wood and the way it is welcoming you in.

Mike, at the time I assumed the flowers held by the rabbit were not real, but looking closer at it now, I’m not sure! I’ll have to research further to make sure! 😃It was a wonderful statue, fairytale-like and a joy to behold. The fork and conker were amazing, just so unexpected you couldn’t help but smile and feel your spirits lift. Alas, they were all too pricey although I was sorely tempted with a couple. The Guardian Angel was stunning and luckily not as big as it looks in the photo if you decided to buy – this one was price on application.

2. Satpura Tiger Reserve says:

What a radiant visit; flawless greenhouses and remarkable fine art! I cherish the vast majority of the figures you so perfectly caught, particularly the gigantic fork and recolored glass mosaic ball. Much obliged to you for setting aside opportunity to share these brilliant manifestations!

Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful effusive comment – you are very welcome!😀😃 Only a virtual tour but so happy to have you along! All wonderful pieces but the two you mention are amazing and stand-out!

3. Curt Mekemson says:

As you know, Annika, I love sculpture and the sculpture garden has some great pieces. I particularly liked the rustic oak and the ceramic ball. I laughed out loud when I read “visions of numerous viewings of ‘Stargate’.” Peggy has insisted that I watch that movie at least 20 times! I can almost quote it line and verse. 🙂 And yes I have been in a sculpture garden recently: the Black Rock Desert of Burning Man. I’ll be posting a number of sculptures from it over the next few weeks. Thanks for the lovely tour. –Curt

Curt, I look forward to reading your posts on Burning Man (I know I’m already a bit behind!) and I’m always floored by the massive creative statures/sculptures there – not quite like the sedate and smaller ones at Marks Hall! 😀😀 The two you mention are my favourites as well (plus some others) – the colourful ball is actually stained glass, I initially thought it was ceramic as well until I read the programme – it must be so difficult to make it of glass and I would dread to move it!

Haha!! Another ‘Stargate’ fan – Peggy has great taste. You are obviously more patient than my husband – he’s watched it a couple of times with me, otherwise I’m on my own!! 😀😀

• Curt Mekemson says:

Stained glass may make more sense, Annika. Be sure to check out my next post on Burning Man that will feature a 40 foot tall jellyfish made up a thousand or so smaller glass ‘jellyfish.’
        Peggy does have her favorites. 🙂 I’ve discovered that I can work on processing photos or do research when she is watching them so my attention is limited! I can’t write, however, but by that time of the evening my writing brain is done for the day anyway. –Curt

4. maryannniemczura says:

Lucky your, Annika! I got lost in the sculptures with childish delight as well. I was happy as a clam to find each more intriguing than the other. I shall have to add it to my bucket list. You are so kind to allow us to accompany your on such a feast for the eyes. You have triggered poetry in me. I could hear/envision music for each of the pieces. Like Back’s water music for example. I look forward to more such journeys with you and your surroundings. Happy play time this weekend! Thank you a thousand times over. 🙂

Mary Ann, just wonderful to have you along on the visit and I’m smiling at your bubbly enthusiasm which mirrors mine! I love how the pieces triggered poetry in you and that you could ‘hear’ various music pieces for each – wow! That is amazing and just shows the wide-ranging of emotions and effects this art inspired!! A great one for a bucket list – I’ve added a few sculpture parks I want to visit that have been mentioned here in comments! Thank you so much for your wonderful comment – it’s made my day! 😀😀

• maryannniemczura says:

Annika, sometimes it seems to me that there is more appreciation for public art work in Europe than here. I saw a few colorful pieces in the Colorado prairie which startled me! I had to stop the car to admire. Someone had gone to the trouble to create beauty in the otherwise drab prairie land. I am glad I made your day. sometimes these posts just seem to do that. Great when they do. Enjoy the weekend. Rest and restore. ^__^

5. navasolanature says:

Indeed a really astounding collection of sculptures. I love them all bit the guardian angel stands out for me as I used to do some wood carving of small things and should perhaps be inspired by all those wonderful shapes you’ve shown in such natural settings. I will have to look up Marks Hall Garden, never heard of it. Found myself long overdue in the Yorkshire sculpture Park a couple of years ago. And they had a Miro collection on display, very Spanish and abstract!

Georgina, I’m not surprised the Guardian Angel spoke to you more than the others as you’ve worked with wood before…it was a wonderful creation and the carving so smooth – it looked so warm and welcoming…comforting even. I’ve meant to go to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park for years (I drive past it to my brother’s) but never got there yet..will do soon!! wow!! A Miro collection…that must have been amazing and of course, the perfect irony of coming from Spain to see Miro in Yorkshire!!😀😀

What a marvelous tour; lovely gardens and outstanding artwork! I love most of the sculptures you so beautifully captured, especially the huge fork and stained glass mosaic ball. Thank you for taking time to share these wonderful creations!

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Khaya – it was a superb tour and glad to have you along! 😀😀 When seeing the fork I couldn’t help but laugh, so outrageously large, unexpected whilst the glass mosaic ball I just wanted to roll home and keep, to stare and examine…it felt sublime to me. A joy to share just a handful of the massive display! 😀

7. Clare Pooley says:

Thank-you so much for sharing your wonderful photos and your impressions of this exhibition, Annika! I tried to choose a favourite but I found it impossible! And what a lovely setting, too!

8. L. T. Garvin, Author says:

What glorious art, Annika! The grounds are absolutely lovely also. I would love to have a place like that to hang around a few afternoons here and there, I would say you are quite fortunate. I liked all of them, of course, but the wonderful rabbit sculpture reminded me of Alice in Wonderland, and the extraordinary glass mosaic ball is just gorgeous. Hard to choose just one! Beautiful post.

Alas, I didn’t learn about it until the exhibition was almost over so we only had the one day there but it was magnificent! Very lucky indeed and I understand this will now be a yearly event so look out for another post on the sculptures next year! The rabbit was absolutely amazing and I just stood in awe and gawped! With the moving plaque underneath I was almost moved to tears – both great choices, Lana! Hope you find something similar near to you. 😀❤️

Lynne, Bookgreen Gardens looks amazing, monumental with over 2,000 statues and indoor exhibitions – my head is spinning just looking at a few of the photographs. I love the one of the gentleman on the bench, reading a paper and wow, the giant butterfly. Are you going to write a post about your visit – I’d eagerly read and comment!!😀😃

The stained glass ball was astonishing and even more so when I realised what it was made of…your other choices are wonderful too…uplifting art all around in stunning landscape! 😀

9. JC says:

Annika,
    Thank you for the pictures of these wonderful pieces of art. Last night while listening to a Hurrican they really lifted my spirited… jc

JC, so happy this could lift your spirits through the hurricane and relieved to read that you are all safe and sound. I did wonder whether to post at a later date but reading your comment realise it was right to click that publish button! 😀

What a glorious collection, Annika. I would never have seen most of these (or any) if not for this post. I haven’t been to an arboretum in years–and can see I need to return. The sense of being is wonderful from the plants, flowers, Nature’s life.

I love all the statues but there is something about a horse that embodies passion and freedom, despiting being a domesticated animal. They are gorgeous creatures.

Often I would catch myself looking at the trees and flowers then to the sculptures, complementing each other beautifully but at times had the niggling thought that nature just does it that much better, seamlessly, without pomp and ceremony! My idea was to write a post sharing photos of the natural world with the sculptures but that became unwieldy.

I love your comment on the horses and they were wonderfully life-like – I had to look twice, exquisitely created and a very skilled artist.

11. Norma says:

Reblogged this on Emovere and commented:
    Hi Annika. I really enjoyed the post. 🙂 I’m sure you had a great time over there. The art work is simply breathtaking and filled with creativity.

Glynis, it’s a joy to share my special day out here…I even went prepared with my ‘proper’ camera!😀 The gardens and arboretum are wonderful even without the exhibition and particularly in the starkness of winter…also top lake has huge fish which the children love to feed (it was the first port of call when my son was young!).

12. Book Club Mom says:

So much variety and style in this exhibit and it looks like you picked a great day to go. I love them all – can’t decide which is my favorite. Each brought out a different reaction. I do especially like the sculpture with the flowers – it made me happy to see! Happy exploring!

I had actually checked the weather for the weekend and deliberately picked the sunniest of days…it makes a huge difference! In the walled garden it was swelteringly hot and being September I didn’t have a sun hat of course and felt dizzy with the heat on my head! Barabara, you’re right that each piece of art work evokes a very different reaction…The flowers are lovely and I enjoyed the fact they were placed beside live flowers in the borders…😀❤️

Kathy, how true! 😀 The sculptures look good on photographs but it’s never possible to convey the full impact and impression of them in real life. Glad you enjoyed this taster. Hope you’re keeping safe. ❤️

13. Cassi says:

What an amazing tour. Thank you for sharing your beautiful prose. I really enjoyed your meditation on the portal and how you admitted to getting swept up in the possibilities before passing through. I will have to make a note to visit Marks Hall Garden.

Cassi, thank you so much for your lovely comment on the tour and my writing. 😀 My childish nature perhaps came to play when I saw the portal and I love trying to make imaginative leaps! I do hope you get a chance to visit the Marks Hall – are you often in the UK? BTW I love your name and if I’d had a daughter she would have been called Cassandra!

14. Carol A. Hand says:

What a lovely visit to Mark Hall, Annika! The gardens and sculptures are, indeed, a blending of “whimsy” and “fantasy,” beauty and creativity that unlock one’s sense of possibilities yet to be discovered.

Carol, you’ve perceptively understood the effect of the visit and related it so beautifully – ‘unlock one’s sense of possibilities yet to be discovered’! Exactly!! 😀😀 With so much creative variations I feel many came away buzzing with ideas…whatever the chosen art form! A magical day out that will stay with me a long time. ❤️

15. dgkaye says:

Thank you for sharing these stunning sculptures Annika and your interpretations were beautiful. I’d have to say the stained glass ball was the most magnificent. Or maybe it’s because I’m so drawn to vibrant color. ❤

Thank you so much, Debby and it’s been a privilege to share my day out here…there were so many photographs and so much I wanted to write it was hard to decide what to leave in or take out! The stained glass ball is glorious and I think the vibrant colours and the medium of stained glass in a round shape is so unusual and unexpected you can’t help but be drawn to it! So glad to have you along on the tour! ❤️

I think that place could easily consume a day, Annika. What a wonderful variety of art, and beautifully displayed among the flowers and gardens, meadow and trees. I loved the fighting (playing) hares, and the mosaic ball, and the angels, and and and… ❤

Diana, we did indeed spend most a day here, eating lunch outside until wasps drove us indoors!😐

The setting was idyllic for these exhibits and they were placed with such thought and consideration…that is itself a form of art. Haha!!😀 I loved your favourite changing all the time; just how I felt when I was there – in the end, I had to be ruthless! Boxing Hares are very popular in sculpture form for some reason…these are terrific and life-size.

17. balroop2013 says:

Many thanks for this pictorial delight Annika, it is breathtaking! Creativity at its zenith! An outdoor exhibition is undoubtedly more mesmerising as the outside energies add a special charm to the sculptures… each one is trying to outline the other! I have scrolled up and down so many times to pick one as a favorite but I must say they are all outstanding.
    You are so lucky to have set eyes on so much creative beauty that enriches our aesthetic sense. The glass ball reminds me of Corning Glass Museum, where we saw wonderful pieces of art, created out of glass and I went crazy clicking pictures. 🙂
    This post is going to haunt me for a long time! Thanks for sharing. Love and hugs.

Balroop, wow! 😀 Thank you so much for your lively and buzzy comment – I can sense your shared enthusiasm all the way here and realise you’re as enthralled as I am by all the sculptures. It’s a long time since I went to an outdoor exhibition and I’d forgotten how special and unique it is to have such a spacious setting…not tiring at all and the sunshine was a huge plus! I agree, all the pieces were outstanding, not a duff one amongst the vast selection which must be unusual. Ahh…I’m glad this will stay with you for a while…please come back anytime and scroll through again; it’s been such a joy to share here on WP.

Glass Museum!!! I just adore glass ornaments and have some smaller pieces at home but a whole museum devoted to them!!! Why oh why does it have to be so far away?! No wonder you went happy clicky! Did you write a post at all about the visit? Thank you so for your comment, always a joy to read! hugs xx

18. Iris@poetsmith says:

An interesting and lovely post, Annika. Stunning and innovative sculptures of eye catching contemporary art! The stained mosaic ball is particularly beautiful… thanks for sharing this creative trip with us. 👌 😃

You’re very welcome, Iris and so happy to have you along on the tour! 😀 These were just too wonderful not to share and eye-catching is so right! The stained glass ball is definitely one such piece and I’m just in awe how it was made, especially since I recently visited a Stained Glass Museum and saw all the work it takes to create normal flat pieces of art!!

Lovely to have you along, Bette! ❤️ This was a wonderful exhibition and such a surprise to have it on our doorsteps. It’s going to be a yearly event so look out for another post on this show in 2018!

Lovely way to spend time, Annika. Wandering and wondering. 🙂 🙂 I tend to like the more traditional like that tactile bronze at the end, but it’s always fascinating to see what people come up with. I’m sure you won’t mind it it finds it’s way into my walks? Hope you had a happy weekend.

20. the incurable dreamer says:

Wow, that is my kind of exhibition! The very first one is my favourite, I just love its meaning so much. I also really love the tree at the end, it’s so simple but stunningly beautiful. Thanks for sharing, this was a super fun journey you took me on!! 😊

Tanya, thank you so much for your bubbly comment…I can sense your joy and enthusiasm and think it matches my own!!😀😃 I love being outdoors and then being able to see such creative art whilst meandering around is heavenly. Both lovely choices, the tree is one is stunning and deceptively simple I agree. The shadow of the tree on the background really pulled me in.

The rustic oak is beautiful and one of my favourites too…don’t you just love that perfect shadow of the tree cast onto the ochre background. It was a pleasure to share these here and so glad you enjoyed the tour, Andrea! 😀

Jennifer, I know it’s nearly impossible to choose but these two are wonderful. The family looks so serene and at peace, perfect harmony and wow, the positioning was dream-like. The last one was one of the last I saw and by then slightly statued-out…I realise I only began to appreciate it once I saw my photo! Thank you so much for commenting and great to have you along for the tour! 😀

Wow! So many wonderful pieces. So glad you thought of us and shared your tour through the gardens. I think Freedom and Guardian Angel are my favorites (then again, I have a thing for wings, but usually on dragons 🙂 ) The flowers–so pretty! And that mosaic ball. Wow. Talk about inspiring art. Thank you for the tour, Annika!

Julie, I’m so happy you came along on the tour and are so enthused…before leaving home I’d decided this would be a fantastic place to share with everyone – art outside is the perfect combination! 😀 Oh yes, I can see Guardian Angel would be to your liking, beautifully carved wings, Freedom was an emotional piece, speaking straight to one’s soul!

Ashen, first of all I’m so impressed that you’ve been blogging for over six years!! 😀 Wow! I hadn’t even heard of the word then! I really liked your post about the Sculpture Park and I’m taken with the seated meditating figure in front of the feather – I see the park is in Surrey and I will try to visit next time I see my friends near Guildford. What a perfect place to entertain guests (I’ll tell my friends off for not mentioning it before!!😀) So glad you enjoyed this tour and all the images (I was worried there were too many and had to be ruthless with my choices in the end!)

The fork one was given such an open location all by itself it stood out brilliantly and it was great to see the amazed expressions of everyone and especially those of the children. So glad you were part of the tour. ❤️ xx

22. Bernadette says:

Annika, WOW! I wish I had been walking with you through this sculpture garden. It is amazing. My favorite is Freedom. It has such strength and the setting is spectacular. We have a Grounds for Sculpture here in New Jersey that I haven’t visited in awhile. I think I will get over there before winter sets in.

Bernadette, I also wish you could walk through these gardens and view the sculptures for real…a very soothing and healing day – hopefully you will be able to go to Grounds for Sculptures soon. Freedom was stunning…like a shout-out to the world and yes, obviously much thought had been given to its placement – so effective high up, overlooking the gardens and lakes!

23. shehannemoore says:

My lord, this is stunning. I can see why your creative energy came zinging back. That glass ball is especially eye catching but it is all amazing. I had no idea this place even existed Annika, so thank you for this amazing post x

Shey, I’m not surprised you don’t know about it as it is one of the smaller gardens in the county and has only been fully developed in the last decade. I remember when the gardens were newly planted…very different from the lush colourful borders of today. I love your word zinging, just wonderful, and that sums up my emotions perfectly! Thank you so much for your buzzy comment! 😀

It is a stunning post you given us here by sharing the wonder of Mark’s Hall and this unusual, inspiring and magical exhibition. Both pictorially and verbally you lift us above our earthbound selves.
    Favourites? That is difficult as you will find a new one around each corner; all a delight and stopping you. I could mention the strength of the Freedom Statue, the warmth and welcome of The Angel, the joy in the Glass Mosaic ball……I also share your favourite.

This is a post I will go through many times and I thank you for taking time to let us share.
    Bless you Annika
    miriam

Wow! 😀 Miriam, thank you so much for your wonderful and effusive comment…I love your poetic phrasing such as ‘you lift us above our earthbound selves.’ Oh I know, it is so difficult to choose a favourite one…I really liked all the ones you mention. The totem one was of a perfect size for my garden I imagined a place for it amongst the flowers…oh well, it’s good to dream!
      I’m so happy that you enjoyed the post and will return to it again – a joy to share here and I’m honoured by yours and everyone’s comments. Thank you. ❤️

25. Karen says:

Annika, this is a wonderful tour. I love your take on the exhibits – they complement them and still leave enough room for imagination.
    There are several favourites – the four leading ones being:
    The Horses, The Family, The Portal, The Rustic Oak Tree

Thank you so much, Karen. 😀 Whilst taking the photos I had in mind to write a post so I took extra effort with the photos…at one stage I was considering placing a photograph of nature that resembled the artwork but the post became far too cumbersome. All great choices for favourites…the one of the pair of horses became too gloomy alas, this one showed off the beautiful patina of the willow form.

26. ateafan says:

Looks lovely. The fork is my favourite – the sheer size of it! I love the idea of using the outdoors as an art gallery – the spaciousness. I can look and wander about for longer than I can at indoor exhibits which are more confined.

Atefan, how true that an outdoor exhibition is so much less tiring than a visit to a museum. Just being outside is invigorating and the ability to look up at the sky, view all the space is perfect and I could tell how much thought and care was taken with the location of each piece of work! I did not want to leave and am tempted to return for a second time today on its last day.

Oh, the fork and conked work was amazing – girnormous and so much fun and this was my son’s favourite. I loved watching the young children come hurtling down the hill towards it and then just stop and gawp, looking upwards in awe! 😀

27. Sharon Bonin-Pratt says:

Annika, I loved this tour of the Marks Hall Garden. So many exciting ways of interpreting man’s influence on nature and the impact nature has on man. I can’t choose a favorite – each one I’m looking at is my favorite until I scroll down to the next one. Thank you for this lovely walk with you.

Will these become permanent exhibits, or will the sculptures be returned?

Sharon, thank you so much for your lovely comment and I’m smiling at each one being your favourite until your scroll down to your next! 😀 I felt like that walking round but then had to be ruthless and make a decision! 😀 It is astonishing the variety and imaginative forms to interpret nature and often I’d look out at the trees and wonderful floral displays, both beautiful and striking in their own ways.

Alas, this is not a permanent exhibition – the last day is today (Sunday 10th September) and after that I imagine they will be returned to the artists – well, apart from those that were sold. Quite a few at around a £1,000 others eye-watering £30,000++!

Oh, I wish, Shari!! 😀😃 Price was definitely the main factor…even the cheapest was the price of a holiday! Still fun to dream and imagine the best place for some of these…I smiled at your ‘Perry Hall Garden’!! Nothing so grand but my garden gives me a lot of pleasure and relaxation…out there soon with my new birthday trowel and gardening gloves.