Last week I was kindly nominated by Janice at Ontheland – Caring About Our World; Reflecting About Life for the Liebster Award. If you haven’t visited her blog before, you have missed a treat. Janice is a gifted poet and her poetry and accompanying photographs are always thoughtful and delightful. Also she’s passionate about the environment and blogs about this and believes that we all can make a difference to the world we live in.
The Liebster Award seems to be centred on the number 11 and I’m happy to answer 11 questions posed by Janice, as well as thinking of 11 random facts about myself. Finally I have written 11 questions for my 11 nominees.
The award is aimed at blogs with a certain number of followers – in this case followers of nominees should be between 200-3000.
Without further ado. Let’s begin:
- Why do you blog? Isn’t it interesting to see how the reasons why you started blogging become so different from the reasons you continue? I started, as many other writers, hoping to achieve a platform for myself as a writer and I wanted to share my writing journey of my first book whilst learning from others along the way. Quickly I realised that facts about my writing alone would not take my readers or myself far and I quickly diversified to an eclectic range of topics.
- What are your favourite hobbies? Among my cerebral interests are reading, writing, current affairs and obviously blogging. Outside I enjoy walking and gardening (in warmer weather). Overall I love organising, be it work, trips, family…
- What is one of your pet peeves? What really bugs me is people texting or glancing at their phone/tablet whilst out eating with others. It’s just not polite. My irritation is doubled when it’s a young child being ignored.
- What is a favourite food or meal? My all-time favourite food is anything with pasta. As I was still a fussy eater when getting married I had a pasta dish at my wedding – much to the amusement of my friends and family.
- Do you prefer coffee or tea or neither? Although I love the smell of coffee I don’t drink it, preferring herbal teas. Peppermint for the morning, ginger tea to take me through the day and a camomile tea in the evening.
- Name a favourite something (eg. book, singer, band, author, poem). My current favourite writer is Rachel Joyce.I loved her previous three books (The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, Perfect & The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy). Her latest book, ‘A Snow Garden’ is sublime, magical, poetic and humorous. It’s wonderful to see a short story collection becoming such a popular success.
- Are you a morning person? After the first hour in the morning, I turn into a friendly human being; ready to work, talk, take part in this world. Before then, I enjoy the quiet ethereal peace twixt sleep and wake.
- What sports do you enjoy, if any? At the moment, apart from losing massively in football or tennis against my son, I enjoy pilates and yoga. The latter maybe less so following my recent slipped discs suffered after a particularly gruelling session. Ouch!
- What is a reference source that you use frequently? Was there life before Google?! Seriously, I use Google or such search engines many times during the day and can’t imagine what I did in pre-internet days. Oh yes, dictionary, encyclopaedia, thesaurus…Occasionally I will still use my Oxford English Dictionary when truly stuck.
- What quality do you value most in a friend? Steadfastness.
- What is a favourite journey, either travelled or planned for the future? This summer we are hoping to visit Florida so I’m very excited about this possibility. As a space fan a visit to the Kennedy Space Centre is a must!
Random Facts about Myself:
1. I struggle to say the word ‘cinnamon’ properly – and people who know me wouldn’t want it any other way!
2. I tried my first pizza aged 26.
3. At nursery I orchestrated The Great Escape for myself and an group of friends, slipping through an unlocked gate after lunchtime break, heading towards the forest nearby. Alas we were spotted, kindly halted in our tracks and returned to the nursery.
4. Aged four I hunted out a packet of cigarettes and ate one but have never touched any since! In my mother’s defence she had hidden them in the highest and most inaccessible cupboard in the kitchen but I was a resourceful child – a real little monkey.
5. I’m a secret (oops!) Netflix addict. In the past years I’ve gorged on: Breaking Bad, Chuck, How I Met Your Mother, Orange is the Next Black, House of Cards, Call The Midwife, The Good Wife, Better Call Saul…
6. I believe I suffer from Prosopagnosia where people have difficulty recognising others. I am hopeless at recognising people; it is a real struggle and I even panicked when picking up my son from school in the first days in case I couldn’t find him amongst the mass of children (don’t worry, I did find him – or more likely vice versa!)
7. When learning to drive my first attempt nearly ended up in the stone wall up on the moors as I proudly copied the drivers off the movies, swinging the steering wheel back and forth. My poor mother only just saved us!
8. Whilst my husband proposed at the romantic lakeside location in Sweden a group of mad manic looking sheep in the field nearby stared unnervingly at us.
9. When sad or angry I become a demon cleaner. Want your house to sparkle? Just catch me on one of my off days!
10. When young I dreamed of becoming an astronaut or tightrope walker – I practiced lots for the latter on our garden fence!
11. I’m a bag lady! In the lucky sense of the word – I love bags and can’t pass a bag shop without popping by for a quick look. What can I say – I’m addicted!
Questions to My Nominees:
- Why did you start your blog?
- How do you deal with a setback at work/rejection letter etc?
- How do you celebrate a success?
- What’s the one crazy activity/thing you wish you’d tried but never dared?
- Which of your posts has got the most views? Can you post a link to it
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would that be?
- What advice would you give your younger self?
- What is one of your most embarrassing moment?
- What’s your favourite drink? (Alcoholic or non-alcoholic)
- If you could travel into the past, which era would you go to and why?
- What is your most favourite (clean) joke?
Finally, to my nominations for this Liebster Award. It has been very difficult to choose as there are so many wonderful blogs out there and I have become friends with so many of you. I apologise if any of you have a no award policy which I failed to spot! Also I had trouble finding out the number of followers for some, so if some are not quite matching the ‘rules’, please forgive me.
FOR MY LIEBSTER AWARD NOMINEES:
If you wish to participate further in the Liebster awards, here are the ‘Rules’.
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you and link to their blog.
2. Nominate 11 other bloggers to Liebster Awards 2016.
3. Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you (see below)
4. Tell your readers 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Give your candidates 11 questions to answer on their blog when they publish their appointment.
Finally, it is Mothering Sunday tomorrow in the UK and I want to wish all mothers out there a very special day filled with warmth and joy.